PDA

View Full Version : Charger Opinions.

cmtaylor777
06-14-2011, 02:20 PM
What opinions are out there about an onboard charger. I am looking to add one of these but not really sure which one to use. Any and all opinions would help. Let me know what you guys think!

I have a dual battery set up if that helps.

haugy
06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I know JonyB has one for his full on system. It's pretty impressive. I'll text him and see what he says.

Obviously Marine grade, but this is one thing I'm positive I wouldn't bargain hunt. An onboard charger if not properly set up is a boat fire waiting to happen.

I will be putting one on my Saltare this winter once I get the boat the way I want. It has one now, but I don't trust it. They are great. Come home from partying all day, plug it up and done. Come out the next day and it's ready to go. What's not to like.

cmtaylor777
06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
I know JonyB has one for his full on system. It's pretty impressive. I'll text him and see what he says.

Obviously Marine grade, but this is one thing I'm positive I wouldn't bargain hunt. An onboard charger if not properly set up is a boat fire waiting to happen.

I will be putting one on my Saltare this winter once I get the boat the way I want. It has one now, but I don't trust it. They are great. Come home from partying all day, plug it up and done. Come out the next day and it's ready to go. What's not to like.

Cool. Thanks Haugy. Let me know what jony says if you don't mind. Too bad he doesn't frequent here as often as he use to.

dusty2221
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Chad, I've got a Prosport 12amp Dual Bank on my two stereo batts and a small trickle charger on the crank batt. The pro sport is really nice, and can deliver the full 12v to a single batt if needed, or split the 12 to meet each battery's need.

Honestly, after doing some reading, I am in need of a larger one, and would like to go to a 3 bank 30amp charger to have all the batts on one charger, at least for now. I'm already planning the addition of a 3rd stereo battery, so in the end the 30amp would be strictly stereo and the trickle would go back to the start batt.

And as you know, I'll sell damn near anything....if you are interested....:)

wotan2525
06-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I've got a Prosport 30amp 3-bank. I'm not really sure how to review it -- since buying, I've never had a dead battery? Since I've had it I haven't replaced any batteries (3 years, now.)

Before I had the onboard I'd replace batteries every 18 months.

I bought the 30 amp because I need to be able to party hard all day saturday, plug in and then be ready to party hard again on sunday. ;)

cmtaylor777
06-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Chad, I've got a Prosport 12amp Dual Bank on my two stereo batts and a small trickle charger on the crank batt. The pro sport is really nice, and can deliver the full 12v to a single batt if needed, or split the 12 to meet each battery's need.

Honestly, after doing some reading, I am in need of a larger one, and would like to go to a 3 bank 30amp charger to have all the batts on one charger, at least for now. I'm already planning the addition of a 3rd stereo battery, so in the end the 30amp would be strictly stereo and the trickle would go back to the start batt.

And as you know, I'll sell damn near anything....if you are interested....:)

I'm in Dusty. I think yours would be enough for 2 batteries. Correct? Sorry don't know much about them. Kinda why I started the thread

sybrmike
06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Party on, Wayne - party on, Garth - party on Wotan...

I think your needs will also depend on what size/type batteries you have. I'm putting a simple two battery (Optima Blues) system in my rebuild - 2nd battery only for my "mild" stereo (I'm older now & can't party like Wotan anymore ;)).

I picked up a XPS 10/10 "smart" charger at Bass Pro. Looks like a private label of the ProMariner & much cheaper if you watch for sales/coupons (have to overlook the little charge logo that lights up indicating it's time to "go fish"). It has a setting just for Optimas & will direct the full 20 amps where they're needed most.

Regardless of make/model, be careful how you wire it in if you have a VSR and/or battery selector switch. Depending on how you wire it, the on-board charger can cause the VSR to combine banks which defeats the "smart" charging function and same with the battery switch set to "1+2" or "combine".

tg0824SSVGG
06-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Use the search feature and look for batterystuff (yes, one word) - there have been
many discussions about chargers -- and batterystuff.com sells several types.

cmtaylor777
06-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Todd

jet
06-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Im right behind you Chad. I have been looking too! Isnt putting a hard charge of 20-30 amps bad for your batteries? I thought slow and long was what you would want?? Jet

wotan2525
06-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Im right behind you Chad. I have been looking too! Isnt putting a hard charge of 20-30 amps bad for your batteries? I thought slow and long was what you would want?? Jet

The smart chargers taper off and then cycle on/off with slow charges while the battery is in "maintenance" or "storage" mode. As far as I've read this is the best thing for the battery.

I cycle my batteries during the off-season on a TecMate optima series charger. This is a small maintenance charger but is designed to desulfate a battery by hitting it with low-amperage 22volt current to return the battery to new condition.

I used to have to replace batteries every 18-24 months. Since I've used the TecMates, I haven't lost a battery in a motorcycle, jetski, boat or automobile yet. I'm a believer.

dusty2221
06-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Im right behind you Chad. I have been looking too! Isn't putting a hard charge of 20-30 amps bad for your batteries? I thought slow and long was what you would want?? Jet

Jet, the on board chargers are not your basic "lawn mower battery charger" These things are smart chargers that go through different modes, to condition, charge, and maintain. I've learned a ton about them over on Moomba. We discussed it pretty deep over the winter. Mine was great on the 20, and I have it on the 24 now, but I have learned that I need to be using a charger with a higher amp output rating to chemically excite my stereo bank.

It's very nice to be able to pull the boat up and plug it right in. Chad, swing by sometime, or remind me when we get together next time and I can show you my setup so you have a pretty solid idea of it.

cmtaylor777
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Jet, the on board chargers are not your basic "lawn mower battery charger" These things are smart chargers that go through different modes, to condition, charge, and maintain. I've learned a ton about them over on Moomba. We discussed it pretty deep over the winter. Mine was great on the 20, and I have it on the 24 now, but I have learned that I need to be using a charger with a higher amp output rating to chemically excite my stereo bank.

It's very nice to be able to pull the boat up and plug it right in. Chad, swing by sometime, or remind me when we get together next time and I can show you my setup so you have a pretty solid idea of it.

Dusty,

Text me and let me know when you want to get rid of it and how much you want for it.

Monroeyd
06-16-2011, 10:25 PM
I have a Noco 20 amp 2 bank charger. Works great as far as I can tell. First season with an onboard charger.

Dusty, how many amps are needed to "excite" a stereo bank?

dusty2221
06-16-2011, 10:47 PM
What I have learned is the charger needs to be rated at 10-13% of your total amp hours in order for proper desulphurication after a deep discharge.

This is from David at Earmark Marine when talking directly with him in regards to my needs:

If you have 345 amp/hours you need a 40 amp charger. A 30 amp is less than 10 percent of your A/Hs and is not enough. The rule for proper desulphation is 10 to 13 percent. Step up to a 40 amp as its barely more cost. Also, consider your 50 A/H cranking battery which brings you up to 395 amp/hours.

Monroeyd
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Got it. Thanks for the explanation!