PDA

View Full Version : teak oil versus teak stain

TitanTn
06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
So as I understand it, teak stain lasts longer, creates more of a "finish," but can also create a slicker surface. So can I get a quality finish with teak oil that I don't have to re-apply every time I go out? I don't want to apply the stain and then figure out later that I wished I hadn't. But I already have about 12 applications of teak oil this season. Suggestions?

wotan2525
06-14-2011, 11:49 PM
So as I understand it, teak stain lasts longer, creates more of a "finish," but can also create a slicker surface. So can I get a quality finish with teak oil that I don't have to re-apply every time I go out? I don't want to apply the stain and then figure out later that I wished I hadn't. But I already have about 12 applications of teak oil this season. Suggestions?

12 applications should be more than enough to last an entire season. You should maybe try reapplying it when the wood is dry and letting it soak in for a few days and then reapply. I'm wondering if your oil is just washing off instead of soaking in?

I always hit mine with a wire brush to open the pores up. 2-3 applications of oil a few days apart and it's good for the season.

TitanTn
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks. I definitely went through that process when I refinished it the first time, and it looked good. But immediately after the first trip to the lake it needed another coat. And now I've added a coat after every trip. I went through my Interlux bottle of oil in the rebuilding process, but now am using an old bottle of Starbrite. Does this stuff become ineffective after a while?

sybrmike
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I have yet to see how well it holds up in the elements, but still looks great after sitting in my garage for 1.5 years during my rebuild...

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=7911&highlight=teak+turpentine

Salty87
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
keep your boat outside? is the platform covered?

TitanTn
06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
keep your boat outside? is the platform covered?

My boat is outside right now, but the platform is covered from the sun. In my normal clean up process after a trip to the lake, I have been recoating the platform. After a 6 hour trip to the lake, the first third of the platform looks faded and is a lighter color than the back two-thirds. I re-did all the teak in the rest of the boat and it's holding up well. It's just the platform that's giving me a problem.

Salty87
06-15-2011, 10:55 AM
that doesn't sound right unless you go out everyday (that would be so cool).

how many coats did you apply the last time you cleaned it really good? how much time between coats? it sounds thirsty.

riveredge
06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
I use a good cleaner with a stiff brush, then rinse thoroughly, and let dry. Then mix about 50/50 teak oil and mineral spirits (paint thinner) to let the stuff penetrate better. Then another coat, mixed thicker (more teak oil), then a few more with less mineral spirits each time. My boat stays in the water all the time and gets lots of sunlight, this method keeps the deck nice for about 3-4 months (usually I just let it go by then, and just do it again in the spring).

TitanTn
06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I'm going to try the process that Mike and Riveredge have suggested. Maybe it had been neglected for so long that it needs help getting the oil to completely soak in and saturate.