PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Diesel v drive Saltere or Pirata build

SuperSaltAir
06-15-2011, 02:05 AM
So this has been in my head for quite a while and I wanted to start a thread that we can throw around ideas about building a diesel boat. Please feel free to chime in as this is something new to me and I have limited knowledge about diesel engines. Any diesel techs on this forum?

This is what I am thinking as far as a start point on the fantasy build

Saltere or Pirata I am also looking for a totally wrecked pirata for less than 1k

1:1 walter v drive

I have no clue on a trany please chime in

Engine Im thinking something out of a wrecked truck I have been thinking that v8 chevy or 6cyl isuzu would be the best. I think fords are a bit on the heavy side and the cumins out of the dodge would be hard to mate with the trany. What do you guys think?

The idea for this is to cost less than 10k total and to run all day at 25mph or less with 1k of ballast on lets say less than 10 gal of fuel do you think its possible?

wotan2525
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
It's a cool idea but it's going to be hard to find things like exhaust risers and a transmission adapter.

I am somewhat surprised that we haven't seen anyone do a v-drive conversion of one of the old boats. I don't think it would be all that much more work than the hull-up rebuilds that so many of us have done.

Okie Boarder
06-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Interesting concept...I'd like to see if it is feasible.

wotan, go check out www.correctcraftfan.com There's a guy from S. OK that did an old ski nautique (2001 style hull) as a v-drive. Pretty slick, but a lot of work.

dusty2221
06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
On the master craft forum there is a diesel build, he documented the entire thing.

chrisk
06-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Okie, could you post a link to the thread? I'm having troubles finding it

chrisk
06-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I've found pictures of the finished product but I can't find the build pics, oh well good enough I suppose. That thing is pretty sweet, a lot more roomy than I would have guessed in such a narrow, small boat. Imagine the possibilities in an old Rider with tons of freeboard.

wotan2525
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Interesting concept...I'd like to see if it is feasible.

wotan, go check out www.correctcraftfan.com There's a guy from S. OK that did an old ski nautique (2001 style hull) as a v-drive. Pretty slick, but a lot of work.

I've seen that. Do you think it's that much more work than the rebuilds that we've seen on here? I guess the only difference really is that you'd need to re-engineer the engine placement and mounts, where with our rebuilds we just re-use the existing measurements.

Other than that.... As long as you are redoing your stringers, interior and upholstery, anyway -- why not convert to a v-drive!

dusty2221
06-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Here ya go, check this link, it;s the mastercraft build I mentioned

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33716&highlight=diesel

Okie Boarder
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
wotan, he also had to relocate his gas tank and a few other minor things IIRC. Also, I think he moved the axle on his trailer and had to put quite a bit of thought into weight placement during the build.

chris, here ya go...

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15448&KW=2001+v%2Ddrive&title=span-classhighlight2001-spanspan-classhighlightv-drive-span

SuperSaltAir
06-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Interesting build I like what that guys did with the diesel engine but after reading all of the posts I don't think he understands the concept of wakeboarding all that well yet.

What I am thinking is a much bigger boat it has to be able to hold 10 people on top of that I want weight and I think I want 3k lbs not just 1k and I want to be able to go 25 mph all day long on 25 gal of fuel. I think a low hp extremely high torque motor would be best for that.

Any diesel techs want to chime in?

I also think going Chevy diesel will eliminate the problem with the adapter plates to the trany they should be the same as the 454's velvet drives

SuperSaltAir
06-16-2011, 01:54 AM
http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?page_id=216

This just makes it way to easy it almost takes all the fun out of it I wonder how much they want for it.

SuperSaltAir
06-16-2011, 02:36 AM
http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/65dieselengine.html

now we just have to dress it

sybrmike
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?page_id=216

This just makes it way to easy it almost takes all the fun out of it I wonder how much they want for it.

"attractive engine price" - "starting at $15,500" - yeah, right.

chrisk
06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Wow Okie, I started reading through that thread and I was like wait a minute, why is he gelcoating it blue? I had found a different one, check this out

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=84377

Okie Boarder
06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that orange one.

cadunkle
06-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Note that a 6.9/7.3 has the same shape bellhousing as a 460, and they make 460 to velvet drive bellhousings. You'd just need to drill holes in the correct locations for the bolt pattern on the diesel. Not sure how a velvet drive would hold up to that the torque of a 7.3 turbo but you may be able to get some extra plates and discs in there.

It can be done but likely all the little things to make it work will be expensive, don't expect to be saving money for at least a few years of frequent riding.

rludtke
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Interesting build I like what that guys did with the diesel engine but after reading all of the posts I don't think he understands the concept of wakeboarding all that well yet.

What I am thinking is a much bigger boat it has to be able to hold 10 people on top of that I want weight and I think I want 3k lbs not just 1k and I want to be able to go 25 mph all day long on 25 gal of fuel. I think a low hp extremely high torque motor would be best for that.

Any diesel techs want to chime in?

I also think going Chevy diesel will eliminate the problem with the adapter plates to the trany they should be the same as the 454's velvet drives

GM manufacture deisel V-8's in th e1980's that were based on the gas 454 cid engine. This engine may not be the deisiel purests first choice, but it would mount up to the transmissions and exhaust risers that we are used to.

GM now has a fantastic, large displacement v-8 deisel engine called the "Duramax" it uses for trucks. This engine is used in heavy equipment applications as well. It would probably work really well for your requirements, but I have no idea what risers, or transmissions it could interface with.

SuperSaltAir
06-17-2011, 10:52 AM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/2444881581.html

Looks like a suitable donor vehicle

doc 1
06-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Now which V-Drive? What ratio, with all the torque available? How much extra weight will the new motor add?

DAFF
06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Here is my pick for an engine.... Cummins will turn at 2500 rpm all day long and create almost too much tourque.....

http://www.tadiesels.com/assets/docs/6BT59_220_spec.pdf

If fuel is no option then this would be insane.....
http://www.tadiesels.com/releases/Cummins/6CTA%20430%20ReCon%20Performance%20Sheet.pdf

wolff
06-23-2011, 08:47 AM
I read the statement below on another Forum and thought i would share it I have not found where Diesel power qouted this but if it is true I thing a big block gas to a duramax would be the way to go.

Next thing to check would be how to keep the motor at low rpm for fuel consumption.

as quoted from diesel power

"For decades, every Chevy V-8 (with the possible exception of the Indycar engine program) has shared the same six-bolt transmission-to-engine bellhousing-pattern designed for the original 265ci small-block Chevy engine back in 1955.

The upside to this commonality has meant that all Chevy V-8 engines; small blocks, big blocks, 90-degree 4.3L V-6 engines, 6.2L and 6.5L diesels, LT-1, LS1, 8.1L, and even the 6.6L Duramax will all bolt up to the same transmissions. This has helped make Chevy engines the most popular engine to swap into other vehicles."

doc 1
06-24-2011, 10:22 PM
What about in a smaller sunsport with the stock small block motor? What V-drive would one use?

DAFF
06-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Duramax would be a good candidate but a marine version IMO would be very expensive. Sure the engine would bolt up EZ to the trans but these engines are all computerised making a simple swap a wiring nightmare. For this reason a fully mechanicial diesel would be the way to go. But the GM 6.5 (93 was all mechanicial injector pump) is a very ho hum dieasel with performance and work in mind. This leaves the 5.9 Cummins ir the I4 marine version too as a good power plant.

Advance adapters makes a conversion for a GM trans to a 5.9Cummins engine, so all in all this project would be very straight forward but for the coin to perform it.

cadunkle
06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
GM automatics have the same bolt pattern as a Velvet Drive?

suprahalee
06-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Check out the Cummings 4bt! Its basically a 5.9 with the back two cylinders chopped off. 4btswaps.com! These guys love putting diesels in anything. I'm sure if someone started a companion thread they would jump right in on this topic.

scotro95
04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Just a heads up, i will be dropping a 5.9 cummins from a dodge ram into a sunsport or a beast starting this fall, i am a marine engineer in the Canadian navy so i have a pretty solid understanding of how this stuff works, i will be using a p7100 pump cummins form a 1995 ram,with a upgraded 3200rpm gov spring (2600rpm stock) and maybe water/meth injection(depending on amount of smoke under load) will be using a custom air to water intercooler and a 1:1 72c velvet drive (same as the big block boats) as it is more stout than the 71c and should be able to handle the roughly 700ft lbs of torque, for a propeller i will be using a 14x20 acme as this should yield similar performance to the stock engine and prop. wakeboarding speed will be at 1800 rpm which is in the 6bt's sweet spot for torque and fuel economy. exhaust will be accomplished by bringing the down pipe from the turbo and splitting off to the two exhaust pipes with mixing pipes integrated into the y, unlike many marine diesels though i will be using a hot manifold and hot turbo, so they will be heat painted and kevlar wraped to prevent fire, the engine doghouse will be adequately forced ventilated at all times to also prevent fire. i will be using a full guage set including egt's, head temp, and turbo boost to keep eyes on all necesary information. as for how to bolt the trans to the engine? just get a sae#3 setup of flywheel, flywheel housing and starter, then a sae#3 to velvet drive adaptor to finish it off, still trying to find a damper plate that is cheaper than the 659$ vulkan torklfex but im sure there is one avail somewhere. the best thing is the fuel economy, at 100% load the cummins can only flow 44l/hour at 2000rpm, vs a 351 fords 150l/hour at top speed. Only reason the project hasn't started yet is because im leaving to go sailing for the summer on the coast. I will be making good copy;s of all my engineering diagrams i have created if anybody wants to take a look and maybe offer some added input, and if anybody does own a 86 sunsport i need some measurements.... height from hull to prop shaft coupling, width between two engine mount stringers and length of engine hole / length of prop coupling to front of engine housing.

DAFF
04-02-2012, 10:43 PM
So where is home??

The Cummins powered P pumps suck...... Only got 700 000km on mine !!!:)

scotro95
04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Ottawa, i see your from windsor... and 700km's... nothin to be ashamed of lol, better than a 6.0 power joke. or just about any of the v8 diesels. :)

sybrmike
04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Please make this happen & keep us updated. I love engine swaps...

scotro95
04-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Sold my old boat today to free up some capital to use on the project, already looking at boats but probably not going to jump on anything till i get back in September... stay tuned for a build thread once it gets started, my goal is to document it and make it simple enough for any motor head to do.

86 century
04-07-2012, 11:07 PM
One thing comes to mind is there anyway to get a tach signal from the cummins that perfect pass could read.

This may be a question for pp then again you may know somthing I dont.

The thought of being able to run my boat on home made biofuel would be worth a lot work.