PDA

View Full Version : yeow

scottchapin
06-16-2011, 01:54 AM
Just got a 1988 Mariah with the PCM 351. Having fun getting it ready to hit the water. Carpet, clean up, tune up, fluids, etc.

Two questions:

I was setting the timing on my new (old) boat and when it was running and I put my hand on the distributor to adjust it I get shocked. It's been a while since I worked on an older motor but I don't think that is supposed to happen.
Ideas why it is doing this? I got it timed by shutting it down, adjusting, starting, etc til I got it right and it definately runs better than it did.

Second issue unrelated, I removed the ski pole entirely from the boat as we will use it only for wakeboarding (the occasional skier can use the ski eye on the transom and we wont get bruises from hitting the pole all time). Is there a hull integrity issue by removing the pole and it's mounting hardware since it was bolted so stronly between the stringers?

Thanks for you help. Been reading lots on here and it's been really helpful.

michael hunter
06-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Go to skidim and order a new distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires. They carry original equipment PCM ignition.

Why did you remove the lower pylon mount seems like a lot of work. I doubt it will affect anything by removing it.

beast 496
06-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Over time the rubber on the wires breaks down due to high resistance, your body with the easiest travel to ground. You must have had another part of your body touching the engine, ie leg, other hand ect. Replace the wires, and spark plugs at minimum and problem will go away. Your hull will be fine without the pylon, but I would keep it for the future. Al

Ptownkid
06-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I was always told that you can feel a shock through the wires even when they are brand new...

scottchapin
06-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I removed the entire ski pole and mounting brackets becasue I couldn't get the pole to break free even after taking the retaining bolts out, and I was putting in new carpet anyway so the access hatch was already easy to remove.

As for the electrical shocks, I'll get new plug wires when I order the new cap, points, plugs etc. May even upgrade to electronic and lose the points. Depends on how the budget goes. Appreciate you help.
Scott