PDA

View Full Version : Last Summers Gas?

devovino
06-16-2011, 10:24 AM
I am wondering if it would be ok to use last summers gas. It has been sitting all winter, I have heard of condensation getting into the tank, does anybody think it will be a problem to start my boat with this gas. There is about half a tank, just thought I would ask. I could see it being ok, thought I would ask the many minds for opinions.

wotan2525
06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Current gas blends (especially if you're in a state with a high ethanol content) go bad within 60-90 days.

But who cares? Some winters I've added seafoam to the tank before storage and some winters I haven't. Never had a problem either way. My mechanic said that my BBC would burn up almost anything.... if it runs, it runs.

Tim405
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
do it... I use sta bil - haven't had a prob - but - so far I have been lucky to find
100% gasoline also ( no alcohol so far! that may change) - starts and runs - I'd use it - but they have that new stuff you can add after the fact also... forget what it's called...

Okie Boarder
06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Star-tron is good. Also, Stabil makes an ethanol version.

jzelt
06-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I would run it. Top it off before hand.

sydneyACE
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
If it starts, you should be good. You could put some "Heat" in there to ensure that you don't get (as much) water in the system. I would top-it-off with new gas if you're able to dilute the old stuff some.

The "newer" gas degrades much faster than "old" gas used to. Big engines don't care as much, but I work with small engines, and they simply wont run on old gas.

BG makes a product that is supposed to restore old fuel.

devovino
06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Good to hear, I think the consensus is to run er, go top off the Salty, and get it ready for fathers day shake down run! I think I will do the Plugs, cap rotor, wires so I have a good starting point.Any other minor tune ups anybody can think off I can cross off the list? Not sure what the PO did up to this point, so better to be safe than sorry and have a good starting point. Thanks for the advice from a newby!

haugy
06-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Top it off, if it runs a little rough ad Sea-foam, and you'll be good to go.

Tune Up:
-Impeller needs to be changed each year,
-check the belts (I always keep a spare set)
-Check battery cables and ends for wear, cracking, or corrosion
-Check driveshaft seal,
-Check bilge pump and blowers to ensure they work.

Graeme
06-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Run it. I do, and yes, I usually top it off with some fresh 91 oct, and I have never heard any knock or ping.