PDA

View Full Version : OJ Props

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Has anyone had major issues with their OJ props?

I had the OJ factory "wakeboard" prop. Last weekend one of the four blades came completely off. I did not hit anything. We were just about to pull up a rider and the whole boat started shaking.

Got the boat back on the trailer and the fin had flung off and into the fiberglass causing a decent size cut.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this. I talked to Nettle Props and they said they have seen it a couple times but OJ isn't recognizing it as a problem. I emailed OJ but have heard nothing back.

Needless to say, I will now be running an Acme.

csuggs
06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
WOW! I'll bet that really did cause the boat to shake! How bad is the gash in the hull? OJ should take care of that . . .

Jetlink
06-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I talked to Nettle Props and they said they have seen it a couple times but OJ isn't recognizing it as a problem. I emailed OJ but have heard nothing back.

I can totally see where they are not seeing this as their problem. I mean, yeah it was a prop that they manufactured but, it did not damage their boat so, not their problem. Geez man, that sucks. I am gonna have to re prop my boat here soon, guess I'll be looking at ACME only as well.

dusty2221
06-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Didn't think I would have to say it twice, this thread is worthless without pics. Dongtard.

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Please let my IT administrator know that I need photobucket to do so.

I suppose I will email them to you in order to get a photobucket tag. Thanks guy

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 03:23 PM
A couple pics from the camera phone ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/dongtard2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/dongtard1.jpg

Fiberglass quote was $300 to $400

Diggs
06-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I have a buddy that had a 06 24ssv (KG the cover your boat came from) and he had the WB prop on it and it did the same thing, but did not hit the gel coat. I might still even have the prop in my garage. Wonder if there were some bad ones from that year or if it is the particular boat. With that being said, I have heard it happening with other brands too. Definitely not a norm and is crazy how that can happen.
I will say that I have always always used OJ props and been very very happy with them and have always been happy with their support when I had questions about different props. I still love that prop and request it every year.

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Would they care to know about this? Is there anything they would be willing to do for me? I'm sure it is somewhat of a fluke but I have heard of a couple doing this but didn't figure there was a remedy?

I sent an email to their generic address as I did not have any other contact information.

cmtaylor777
06-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Damn Kyle,

Sorry to hear that bud. Start posting it everwhere. I'm sure someone on one of these forums knows sombody. Wakeworld too.

Diggs
06-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Ask for Eric over there. He is the guy I have worked with and he is on WW. I would not sling mud, but if you reach out to him I bet he would take care of you or know if there was a problem.

cmtaylor777
06-16-2011, 06:21 PM
QUOTE=Diggs;59113]Ask for Eric over there. He is the guy I have worked with and he is on WW. I would not sling mud, but if you reach out to him I bet he would take care of you or know if there was a problem.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. No Mud slinging. I know you're from Arkansas and all, but try to stay civilized. :cool:

cadunkle
06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Keep us posted. If OJ does not take care of you with a new prop and reimbursing for the damage I'll definitely avoid them in the future.

Monroeyd
06-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Is that the 466? That's crazy that would/could happen. This is the first time I've heard of it happening. It seems OJ would help out in some way. Good luck daddio.

jsandy
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
not saying anything bad about OJ. But here at Skiers we wont sell any boat with the factory OJ on it. First thing we do is swap out for an ACME and we eat the price. The ACME just makes the boat handle and digg better

jet
06-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I have had a SS shaft do that, it snapped right off, and I lost the prop too! The breaking point on the shaft had rust on it..meaning it was there for a while. Yours looks the same, straight across. Not a big deal though..they can remold it for $70-$100 bucks back to new.:)

KG's Supra24
06-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I have had a SS shaft do that, it snapped right off, and I lost the prop too! The breaking point on the shaft had rust on it..meaning it was there for a while. Yours looks the same, straight across. Not a big deal though..they can remold it for $70-$100 bucks back to new.:)

I don't think so scooter

KG's Supra24
06-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Acme 1433 went on this weekend and felt great.

OJ is having me send back the other prop so we will see what they say. I'll keep yall posted.

cmtaylor777
06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
What did you have to pay for the new prop?

Fman
06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Ask for Eric over there. He is the guy I have worked with and he is on WW. I would not sling mud, but if you reach out to him I bet he would take care of you or know if there was a problem.

I agree, Eric has always been great to deal with. I am runnin the OJ Fusion 529 on my boat, so far its been great.... hope to never see that pulling out of the water.

KG's Supra24
06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
What did you have to pay for the new prop?

There is a discount going on at NettleProps and the code is over on the Moomba forum.

I ended up paying approx $430 shipped for the Acme 1433.

ejojprop
06-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Has anyone had major issues with their OJ props?

I had the OJ factory "wakeboard" prop. Last weekend one of the four blades came completely off. I did not hit anything. We were just about to pull up a rider and the whole boat started shaking.

Got the boat back on the trailer and the fin had flung off and into the fiberglass causing a decent size cut.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this. I talked to Nettle Props and they said they have seen it a couple times but OJ isn't recognizing it as a problem. I emailed OJ but have heard nothing back.

Needless to say, I will now be running an Acme.

Just to clarify a few points made here. I received an email from Kyle on June 16 which was sent at 5:45 PM and responded to his email on the 17th at 8:17AM asking for him to send the propeller to me for inspection. Kyle indicated via email that propeller was returned on June 27th. I will let him and the board know what we find with the prop.

Typically a prop is warranted for one year from date of manufacture, warranteed for defects associated with the production of the propeller. I cannot warranty propellers that have been damaged and repaired.

JT indicated to Kyle that OJ is not recognizing this as a problem, JT is incorrect. Anytime a product we make has an issue, we are concerned and do what we can to rectify the issue. If the propeller failed due to a defect, we take care of it. If a propeller failed due to a repair done by another shop, we will work with the customer to offer a reasonable price for a replacement. If the product failed after WE repaired it, we replace it.

We stand behind our products and do the best we can to satisfy the needs of the customer.

Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller Co. Inc

jet
06-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Eric can you clarify something for me. I have seen props badly damaged and missing alot of material and have seen them put back together. My question is..do you rework that damaged prop or do you just really replace it?? Jet

ejojprop
06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Eric can you clarify something for me. I have seen props badly damaged and missing alot of material and have seen them put back together. My question is..do you rework that damaged prop or do you just really replace it?? Jet

Jet,

We will repair the prop. If it cannot be repaired we will scrap the prop.

Thanks - Eric

KG's Supra24
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Just to clarify a few points made here. I received an email from Kyle on June 16 which was sent at 5:45 PM and responded to his email on the 17th at 8:17AM asking for him to send the propeller to me for inspection. Kyle indicated via email that propeller was returned on June 27th. I will let him and the board know what we find with the prop.

Typically a prop is warranted for one year from date of manufacture, warranteed for defects associated with the production of the propeller. I cannot warranty propellers that have been damaged and repaired.

JT indicated to Kyle that OJ is not recognizing this as a problem, JT is incorrect. Anytime a product we make has an issue, we are concerned and do what we can to rectify the issue. If the propeller failed due to a defect, we take care of it. If a propeller failed due to a repair done by another shop, we will work with the customer to offer a reasonable price for a replacement. If the product failed after WE repaired it, we replace it.

We stand behind our products and do the best we can to satisfy the needs of the customer.

Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller Co. Inc

I feel a need to respond to this as you possibly took offense ...

What Eric stated is correct except for one thing. The prop is in my truck still! I will be getting it out ASAP. As I stated in the email I have been out of town. Plus, I came back to a mess to deal with at work. It will be on its way soon, though.

As for clarity on the discussion I had with JT ... I don't think it was an attack that you don't back up your product. I think the comment was more along the lines of we have seen that exact problem from a few OJ props but they have not recongized it as a widespread issue. I took it as .. There is no form of recall or anything like that.

Like I said, just felt the need to respond in some manner. I'm interested to see what you find.

Question: Should I/we be having our props looked at near the end of each season to see if any adjustments should be made? I have talked to some others and it sounds like they do that.

ejojprop
06-29-2011, 06:25 AM
We have had some props break, most if not all have all been repaired and are several years old. No offense taken. As I said, if anything we make fails due to something we did or did not do, we take care of it.

Taking a look at all the running gear, strut, shaft, rudder, coupler, prop now and then is always a good idea.

KG's Supra24
07-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Update:

Sent the prop off to Eric at OJ, they inspected and determined the prop had not been previously repaired. The prop was not under warranty but he said it shouldn't have happened and sent a brand new prop my way, free of charge.

Great customer service and real easy to deal with. Love to see it turn out like that, above and beyond! Appreciate it Eric.

cadunkle
07-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Glad to hear Eric took care of you with the prop, despite being out of warranty. What ever happened with the gel/glass damage under the boat?

KG's Supra24
07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I had it repaired that week. Cost of $350. Fiberglass work isn't cheap!