PDA

View Full Version : Start of under seat ballast..

devovino
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
So yesterday I was able to start by temping in my bases for my rear seat. Down the road I will attempt to incorporate some ballast including this area under the seat, the hard tank will look like saddlebags, I will fab it out of aluminum, and weld it to specs. I am still in the planning phase, so any ideas will help out. I still have to finish grindind out the rest of the exterior stringers, and drop the templates another 1.5 inches. I will most likely box out the exhaust, replace the area where the cross sections were in the main stringers with new wood, there was some rot there. This should be hold for the season, until winter when I tear her down ans can replace the whole stringers. For now, I am going to just finish the frame, pop the new rear seat in, and get ready to do a shake down cruise this fathers day. Well any ideas can help, thanks, Devon

Okie Boarder
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
So are you only removing the areas of stringer that we see removed already? Just that portion of the outer ones?

devovino
06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah, for now I am just removing the section of outer stringer in the picture. I am pretty sure the outer stringers from there to the transom are pretty shot. I am considering removing that area and using the area under the gas tank for the hard tank as well, but that would make for a pretty funky shaped tank, doable but a lot of welding.Either way, I need to remove the gas tank and get under to remove the rest of the floor, stringer, I see another original cross section that is looking potentially rotted. SO yeah, that my day today, should be interesting!