PDA

View Full Version : strut angle....ASAP!!!!

mapleleaf
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
the first step in remounting my shaft log as I understand it is to bolt my newly straightened strut back in and use the drive shaft as my guide to setting the log.
Problem, I just picked up the strut and when I bolt it to the hull of the boat it shoots the drive shaft in thru the hull at a very low angle, making my shaft log placement nearly impossible.
1. Is there something in the way of shimming a strut?
Or
2. Was the strut not straightened properly?
When I loosen the rear bolts on the strut it drops enough to give the original angle (leaves a 3/16" gap between the hull and the back of the strut)
This will blow my ability to have the boat in the water the 25th if the strut needs to be retuned...
HELP!!!!!

mapleleaf
06-18-2011, 12:49 AM
After giving it some thought, I think the strut was bent in both directions...
Visibly it was laterally bent, but I suspect that the impact from hitting the rock might also have lowered the angle at which it passed through the boat (problem I'm experiencing now, withe the rock hitting the prop force on the strut would be at the back lowering it's angle?). I'm only speculating, but I think it might be possible that the strut was only straightened laterally, leaving me a bad thru hull angle?
Just trying to find an answer as my water readiness due date loom's, maybe I'm going nuts!!!
why didn't I buy this one??
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=101030

Blackntan90
06-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Maple, what about grinding down the front of the strut foot by the same amount that the back is out of alignment? Just a thought- Hate to see you miss out on water time!

mapleleaf
06-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Prop shop is saying shim it.....Here we go!!!

michael hunter
06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Maple
Are you sure they gave you the correct strut back? They come in different angles 14-16 degrees. You can shim the strut to get the correct angle then bed the hull with thickened epoxy. I would be very careful about making such a radical change before checking the strut out thoroughly. Skidim sells new ones.

mapleleaf
06-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Michael, I'm positive it's my strut ( i stamped my initials on it be fore i sent it out) , a little burned that I didn't buy a new one.
A little further inspection is looking like I didn't have it seated exactly the way it was before. I think there's a little nervous rookie issue here, so I'm taking my time before I go ahead and bed the log back in, it may take all day, but this is not the stage I want to rush.....

docdrs
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Listen to them and shim it if you have to with some big washers the 5200? ( the bonding goop) will fill in the rest

Jetlink
06-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear you are not rushing anything there John, my whole thought is to do it once, and do it right the first time. That isn't a nervous rookie feeling, you are just trying to assure that you are doing it right the first time. Good luck and keep up the good work.

csuggs
06-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Maple - the angle of the strut should be stamped on the strut. Mine has a 14 stamped on it so can you check it with a protractor? As someone said on here, skidim has replacements new and could probably have it delivered in just a few days.

mapleleaf
06-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Maple - the angle of the strut should be stamped on the strut. Mine has a 14 stamped on it so can you check it with a protractor? As someone said on here, skidim has replacements new and could probably have it delivered in just a few days.

It's stamped 14, and JB so i would know it was mine when it was returned, It Looks like shimming a strut is fairly common practice and I'm going to have to live with it. The prop shop has assured me that there is know way to bend more angle back into the strut front to back.
Do I wish I'd bought DIM's strut for $198, yes, Considering mine was 286.00 straightened w/ new bushing's. Do I know it will solve my problems? No, I've shimmed it and set my shaft log and have my fingers crossed that the tolerance is right for the packing nut, unfortunately I don't have enough shaft for a dripless style seal....
I'll keep you guys posted, I'm still enjoying the learning curve and everything involved with it!!!

csuggs
06-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Sorry you're having to do that - good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

Okie Boarder
06-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Mine had some shims on it from the factory, just so you know.

csuggs
06-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I was under my boat the other day and it looks as if it could be shimmed - but can't tell for sure because of all the 5200 gooped up around it. I'm sure Jim Jackson could tell you if it was common practice to shim the strut. I'll bet it was because I've found that there are hardly two boats (from the era) out there that are alike.

sybrmike
06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Sucks to hear Maple. If only everything on these old boats could be simply R&R.

Yeah, be prepared to do whatever it takes to make things line up (the factory sure did). My strut was definitely bent from PO mishap to where the shaft was contacting the hull near the shaft log exit, so I paid to have it straightened. After reinstalling using the original bolt holes (and forgetting to check the shaft alignment in the shaft log until after the 5200 had set :( ) - I had to use a six foot section of 1" bar stock to "unstraighten" the strut so the shaft would center in the log.

Good luck & hope you're back on the water soon.

mapleleaf
06-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Re seated it yesterday with 4200....Thought my dry fit was good...WRONG! Tonight I go at it with 5200 and have to add a couple more shims. I just don't like it cuz there weren't shims there before...I dewinterized her after work for inspiration....

DAFF
06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Have you thought of dropping or raising the front engine mounts to help get the strut aligned correctly???? This way you can fine tune the strut alignment without shims ??

rludtke
06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Do I wish I'd bought DIM's strut for $198, yes,

Well, you might have had to shim it too. There are a lot of variables in play, and I suspect every boats set up is unique. Give her the shims she demands, lock it down, goop her up, and move on...:D

mapleleaf
06-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Well, you might have had to shim it too. There are a lot of variables in play, and I suspect every boats set up is unique. Give her the shims she demands, lock it down, goop her up, and move on...:D

Absolutely!