PDA

View Full Version : My 98 Supra Legacy

cc-rider
03-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Here is my 98 Legacy (still only 160 hours!)

This boat has been great to me......I need to get into a V-drive one of these years. But I'm happy with my girl for now! ;)

Juice75
04-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Nice boat! Looks a lot like my '89 Comp, but open bow. It's good to see that Supra has gone with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality over the years.

dndsam
05-26-2005, 10:21 PM
What a beautiful boat! You have good taste. Did you buy it new?

I have a 1999 with exactly the same color scheme only mine has a teak swim platform and 90 hours. I bought it used 3 years ago with only 40 hours on it.

Check your trailer out! If it has a monoleaf spring under it get with Boatmate immediately. One of mine broke and fortunately I pulling out of a drive when it happened. It could have been a huge disaster otherwise. Boatmate hooked me up with a 7 leaf spring and it trailers MUCH better. A whole lot less bounce.

cc-rider
06-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Doug,

Thanks for letting me know about the single leaf spring......my trailer does have it. Do you have a contact at boatmate that you worked with?
Tx,
CC

bpskis
06-19-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm not doug, but I also had the same springs on our '99. We got the new springs but haven't installed them yet, maybe by the end of the summer. Here is the information, it only took one email before I had them at my house.

Owen Shelton

Email: [email protected]

BoatMate Trailers, Inc.

1713 Henry G Lane Street

Maryville, TN 37801

(T) 865-273-1100

(F) 865-273-1101

dndsam
06-22-2005, 10:32 PM
bpskis is right on the money. They were good to deal with but I sensed a liability issue was part of the cooperation. The swapping of the springs was pretty easy. A floor jack, jackstands and a few sockets and wrenches is all that is needed. I changed out both sides by myself in about 4 hours. Do not wait. GET THEM NOW! It could save a lot of aggravation, not to mention lives.

cc-rider
06-23-2005, 10:07 AM
I contacted Boatmate and they told me that my boat is not at risk. I was told that only 2000 model year trailers are affected. Here is their response:

Chad,
The springs used on your trailer would not have been within the range of questionable springs. The springs that were at risk were used between September 1999 and February 2000 on 2000 model year trailers.

Owen Shelton

Does this jive with what eveyone else knows???

dndsam
06-25-2005, 09:59 AM
All I can tell you is my fender well is all bent up from the wheel and axle rolling up under the frame of the trailer. If I were going down the road, it would have been and ugly mess. My recommendation from a safety point and first hand experience is to get those monoleafs off as fast as you can. With a monoleaf spring if it breaks, you are done right then and there. With a 5 or 7 leaf spring if one breaks, you can still get by until you get home. If a monoleaf spring breaks and you are going down the road, YOUR BOAT WILL END UP ON THE PAVEMENT! If that is the risk you want to take by all means. Ultimately, it is your call. Look at other trailers at the ramps at the lakes you go to. How many have monoleaf springs?