PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy Optima Batteries?

haugy
06-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I need two Optimas, a red top, and a yellow top. Anyone know the best place to get them in regards to price?

pwildbil
06-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I would try JEGS and/or SUMMITracing as they usually have good prices on them

tg0824SSVGG
06-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I am not an Optima fan (any more) -- but the local Sam's club here has them and the prices seem decent. You get them "now" and don't pay shipping for something pretty heavy - but I have no idea how they would compare to an online price + shipping.

Seabeejamie
06-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Did you have someproblems with them TG? I have been running 3 blue tops for the last 3 years without a problem. 3 1200 Watt amps and 1 1000W (bridges) to run the 12" sub...never a problem.

Tim405
06-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Sams - got one yeller top and an Interstate in the rig... and a red top in my 10.5 car - I like em purdy well

haugy
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I am not an Optima fan (any more) -- but the local Sam's club here has them and the prices seem decent. You get them "now" and don't pay shipping for something pretty heavy - but I have no idea how they would compare to an online price + shipping.

I'm not going to get into a debate about why, that always goes on pointlessly for days, ya know. But I do like to hear about what others are opting for instead.

What do you run now?

That's a good idea about Sam's. I have a costco down the road from me too.

tg0824SSVGG
06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
I just had a yellow top that gave me fits -- might have been a "lemon" :o)

I bought it because everyone raved about it -- it just never seemed to stay charged,
others have told me that Optima's take a high current charge -- not sure though.

I am currently running Interstates, I think - whatever came in the 08!

Seabeejamie
06-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I havent had any trouble...but for the price I could see how a "lemon" would turn me off of them. I about had a heart attack when the parts counter brought out the batteries and handed me the bill.....

Jetlink
06-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I ran all optimas in my plow trucks. Optima blue top to run the all electric salt spreader in the back and I want to say red tops for the main battery. Those batteries never gave me any problems. The price though, I can say I don't miss the price to outfit those trucks anymore.

Diggs
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I have good success with optimas in vehicles, but not in my boats with big stereos. I am not a battery guru, but tried optimas two years in a row and toasted them both times. They are not good for big stereo applications that can run all the way down when you are sitting at party cove. From what others have told me it is very hard on gel batteries to run them all the way down and try to bring them back up. I have a pair in my diesel truck and have had them in a rhino and they are great for that, but I won't put them in a boat again. I have just been running dual deep cycles the last few years and never any issues. My favorite were the Odysseys and Trojans for boat applications.
Again, I don't know much about batteries, just my personal experience....

Second part of your question of where to buy: Costco or Sams Club. They have the best return policies if you are not satisfied.

jonyb
06-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd rather tell you how much they suck :D just kidding.....

I can hook you up with the Stinger dry cell's if you don't wanna run 2 batteries..... We are also looking at picking up a line of AGM golf cart batteries in the future, but it may not be until Fall.

DAFF
06-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Try your local Interstate battery supplier. They have a second line on batteries which are over 1 year old on sitting the shelf (stale) ... This is how I but all of my Green top interstate batteries. They also sell the yellow and blue top ones at highly reduced price too. Usually $50.00 or so on the Optima's and 40.00 for the plain Interstates....

haugy
06-21-2011, 08:23 AM
I'd rather tell you how much they suck :D just kidding.....

I can hook you up with the Stinger dry cell's if you don't wanna run 2 batteries..... We are also looking at picking up a line of AGM golf cart batteries in the future, but it may not be until Fall.

Right now I need to just want get my boat on the water. This winter you and I will be talking alot about really powering some equipment. :D

Seabeejamie
06-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Back on the subject of Optima's...I noticed that a lot of people go with the yellow tops. The Blue top has a higher CCA and quicker charge time, (deep cycle dual purpose), is it just the price that steers you away from the blue tops? I am running 3 of them, no problems to date...(knock on wood)

jet
06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Walmart Marine Deep cycle's, 850 cranking amps and crazy Mili/amps $86?? I think and a FULL TRADE in warranty 3-years. I killed my boat battery over winter because I was lazy and didnt throw the maintainner on it so I took it to walmart and they said, Im sorry Mr Jet but this batter is 6-YEARS old, there is no more warranty on it. I just laughed and said 6-years! Are you serious?? Yep! I have them in all of my vehicles..and I woulnt buy anything else.

haugy
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
So was it 6-years old or what? Did they replace it? You're leaving out a few details.

I thought the Yellow tops were the faster to recharge? I'll probably pick up a big red top for high CCA's, and then maybe get a blue/yellow? I use the red as a big power backup for when I really need it.

wotan2525
06-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I've also had good luck with the walmart batteries. This is the first set of batteries I've had that lasted more than 18 months. 125 amp hours/each and under $100 for the series 29s that I run.

haugy
06-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Hell I may need to go to Wal-mart to get some for the summer and see how long they last.

DAFF
06-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Normally, Wal-Mart and quality are inversely proportional !!!!!

jet
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Walmart doesnt make batteries..so your pretty safe there. But no, they didnt warranty the battery. It was a 3-yr replacement and the battery went 6years, so 6-yrs on that battery, thats pretty damn good. They were $62 bucks back then. I have one in my Jeep, G35, the boat and my Armada and I even have one in my 15' jon boat for fishing at the lake house. : ))

wotan2525
06-22-2011, 11:19 AM
There aren't a lot of battery manufacturers out there. Johnson Controls is the OEM on the wal-mart batteries and I believe they also make Interstate, Exide, NAPA, Diehard and... wait for it.... optima batteries.

I think one thing that is overlooked when considering batteries is how long they have been sitting before you picked it up. That $300 Optima? Your local AutoZone probably doesn't sell a ton of them. The WalMart EverStart MAXX? Probably turned over every couple of weeks.

CarZin
06-22-2011, 11:22 AM
You can order them off Amazon. If you have amazon prime, 2 day shipping is free.

jet
06-22-2011, 01:31 PM
yep, they have a born-on-date, just like my beer. lol