PDA

View Full Version : Saltare guys - Engine hatches......burning?

haugy
06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Looking at the doghouse (engine cover) I can see on my boat where it looks like the material has either melted or burned. I put the cover back on, and it's either rubbing the exhaust manifolds or less than an inch away.

This is a factory setup, but how close is yall's? This is a big fear for me, I don't want a boat fire going on. I know the boat should stay cool with water flowing through it, but you run those suckers hard enough they are definitely hot.

Anyone run into this?

Salty87
06-21-2011, 09:17 AM
mine has some burn marks too. i think it's been like that since i bought it.

are you sure the base for the dog house is original? someone could have replaced it and made it a little shorter.

my doghouse rubs the exhaust manifolds when opening and closing too. it's a fairly tight fit.

cadunkle
06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Mine sits pretty close to the manifolds, almost touching. Nothing is burned or melted though though the sides appear bowed in a bit in the middle, likely from heat. This made it interesting rebuilding the motor box base.

wotan2525
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Mine sits close but isn't burned or melted. My motorbox base is completely shot but it just seems like it's going to be a big pain to rebuild and carpet. I do have some wear on the front of my engine box from where it's slid or been pushed into the alternator. Not too big of a deal, I guess.

devovino
06-21-2011, 11:35 AM
I will second that, I know my motor cover base is shot, I noticed the PO added some new supports to the front of the base where it rests, but aparently did it too low because there is grinding on the metal brackets that are on the motor cover, probably from the pulley on the motor. As far as any burning or melting, I did not notice any. This is a consideration when re-building my base, I will most likely make it out of 2x6, and make it so it rests a little higher on the supports, I remember it was definatly tight fitting lifting it up.

sybrmike
06-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I have measurements written down since I'm replacing the thin original lining with 1/2" sound deadening foam with heat reflective backing. I had 30-1/8" across the top (widest part) of the exhaust risers & 31" across the bottom edge of the cover (vinyl to vinyl of the wood surround), 32" across the inner edges with the thin carpet-like lining. Not much clearance, but should be o.k. with water in the manifolds.

Maybe the engine overheated at some point? Maybe the base was loose & allowed the doghouse to contact the risers?

Jetlink
06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey all, I just rebuilt my base for the dog house. I have some pics online here and I also have the measurements for the angles I cut to help get you close to where you might want to be. Granted, I am not running a Salty but rather a Comp but it might help get you close like I said.

haugy
06-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah the base and the bottom of the doghouse have the melted burn marks. It's very likely it was shifted because the base and the cover will come right off if you just lift.

But even then when I align everything up, there is barely 1/2 an inch to spare on each side. Just curious if anyone has run into this problem before.

I may try a piece of heat resistant sheilding to protect them.

Okie Boarder
06-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Mine is fairly tight on my Sunsport, as well. Just as another point of reference.

Jetlink
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't have the exact measurments with me but, I believe the inside width of the doghouse is 29-30 inches, the width from the outside of one manifold to the other is 28.5 inches I wanna say on my boat.