PDA

View Full Version : Strut and Shaft replacement

rscottski
06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I am having the Strut (= bent) replaced on my 1995 Supra Sunsport. The shop has told me that the engine and transmition need to be removed to get the shaft out. Can't the cupling be seperated and the shaft pulled aft through the cutlass bearing using a slide hammer ?? Or is the coupling a permenant part of the shaft ??

Thanks Scott

sybrmike
06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
No need to pull engine/trans. That's specifically why the shaft & strut are offset from the rudder - unbolt & separate the couplings, pull the prop & slide the shaft back a few inches, remove the coupling from the shaft (several methods depending on coupling style), & slide the shaft the rest of the way out the rear.

Ptownkid
06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Wow...some mechanics have no conscience...there is absolutely no need to remove anything other than the prop and the coupler.

This is something you can totally do yourself...

docdrs
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I would run not walk away from that shop, They don,t know what they are doing. At the most if rudder was aligned with the shaft ,they could pull the rudder easier than tranny and motor. But as mentioned above ...that's why the rudder is offset from the shaft so you don't have to pull the rudder.

Salty87
06-21-2011, 02:16 PM
crazy...unless the coupler and driveshaft won't separate. you have another option in that event, cut the driveshaft.

wakejmpr
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Is it a V drive? I've done it on mine. 2007 launch ssv. Has a V drive. I did need to pull the trans to slide the shaft out. No other way to do it for me. I was quoted close to 4 grand total with 16 hours in total labor. Me and a friend having never done it did it in six hours or so. Hardest part was pulling up the floor boards. 16 hours my ass. Sounds like those guys are scammers just like the dealer I took it too.

Ptownkid
06-21-2011, 07:16 PM
crazy...unless the coupler and driveshaft won't separate. you have another option in that event, cut the driveshaft.

Yeah, that would be far cheaper than what they will most likely charge to "pull" the motor.