PDA

View Full Version : Amp Signal / Channel Splitting 101

Launchman2000
06-21-2011, 01:44 PM
This is my first stereo install, first supra, first ski boat of my own, etc. so bear with me...I have a pyle head unit with a left, right, and sub woofer (3 total) rca outputs.

I bought the Krypt WS-420 to split the signal to tower and boat speakers, it has a left and right rca input and left and right outputs for the tower and boat, and sub amps. (3 sets of 2) so volume can be adjusted separately on all 3 in theory anyway.

I am stuck because the head unit has a sub output but the ws-420 only has 2 inputs (left and right).

I have a 6 (6 rc inputs) channel amp that will drive 4 tower speakers and 2 subs and a 4 (4 rc inputs) channel amp to drive the 4 boat speakers,

should I just use RCA (1 male x 2 female) splitters between the WS-420 and the amps? Thanks for any suggestions.

Okie Boarder
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Just use the left and right outputs from the head unit to the Krypt. It will take care of the sub out. Run each of your outputs seperately to the amps however you want them. For example run the tower and sub inputs to the 6 channel amp. If it doesn't allow you to switch the inputs so 2 in equals 4 out for your in boats, use splitters. Same thing on the sub. Since your tower will be on its own amp, just run one set of rcas to it and don't use the splitters.

cmtaylor777
06-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Only problem you may have is if your head unit crosses over the frequency. If the head unit seperates the low signal to the sup output, you wont have that low level of sound going to the 420 since you don't have an input for the sub. See if there is a setting on the head unit that turns on and off the sub. If so, turn off the sub and you should get that low frequency distributed to the right and left RCA outputs. Then split the right and left creating the 4 outputs you need. All you have left is to wire your outputs from the 420 to your amps as normal.