PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Aluminum heads

Black86comp
04-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Have a 86 comp and want to bring the power up a bit, looking at a performer intake manifold and some GT 40 heads, I can probally find aluminum or cast, but would prefer aluminum because it is lighter but not sure about running straight lake water since it doesn't have indirect cooling system. Any thoughts, would aluminum work or would it corode?

I flush with fresh water at home often and the boat only sees fresh water. While I am at it anyone done this and what kind of power gains?

Shane

Brian Raymond
04-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Vince at Discount Inboard Marine may be able to give you some inside info. and suggestions. He can be reached at (803)345-0996, or email; www.skidim.com. Brian Raymond

silvtongdvl
04-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Fresh water really doesn't mean "its drinking water quality". There are some fresh water areas that are just as bad as salt water for your heads & manifolds.
Alum will give better performance , lighter too. I would check with local mechanics/dealers to see if the local waters are ok for the alum and the cooling galleries will be enough for the boat.
~S~

DKJBama92Mariah
05-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Shane,
Be aware. You'll have to ask the guys at DIM about this, but you might run into some problems with your fuel/air mixtures after making such a drastic improvement to the flow characteristics of the intake system. I would be afraid that you might end up having to retune the carb, not just the idle settings, but also the primary and secondary jets, the accelerator pump, and maybe the power valve. Just wanted to warn you to ask someone knowledgeable about it before jumping in head first. Good luck.

Cheers,
DKJ