PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Residue

wv_waterdumby
06-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone have a great way to get the sticker residue off? I peeled the old letters off the boat and scrubbed for 20 mins and still haven’t removed all of it. Goo gone? Thanks

Ptownkid
06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Yes, goo gone.

Seabeejamie
06-23-2011, 02:57 PM
goo gone or charcoal lighter fluid...(naptha)...just make sure to wash and wax right afterwards

Okie Boarder
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
3M makes a good sticker / adhesive remover in a spray can that works a little better than most items out there.

csuggs
06-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I use goo-gone followed by wax.

Ptownkid
06-23-2011, 04:24 PM
That reminds me...I was talking to a very renowned fiberglass and paint shop that specializes in boat recently, and they said that waxing gel coat is bad for it and that it shouldn't be done...

haugy
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
That reminds me...I was talking to a very renowned fiberglass and paint shop that specializes in boat recently, and they said that waxing gel coat is bad for it and that it shouldn't be done...

That will be a first.

LISTEN OH YE SUPRA OWNERS!! FOR I HAVE FOUND THE ULTIMATE STICKY CRAP REMOVER!!!!!

3M Eraser wheel. Remember the material an eraser feels like? Put that on a big ass wheel, put on a drill, and holy crap be amazed!!! I was skeptical, but after scrubbing 10 feet of what would be a total of 48ft of boat, I tried it. It doesn't even need real pressure, just contact with the residue. It also doesn't hurt gelcoat or paint. I have both, and it didn't make a mark.

Took me an hour to 10ft with the 3M adhesive spray. This stuff was on there. I had the whole boat done in 30 minutes with the eraser wheel. This thing is amazing. I've also already used it on 5 other things with adhesive residue.

The only warning you need is don't stay in one spot at high speed. If you've been running it for a while, and then you full speed it in one spot, it can make a very faint burn mark. But that's because I was stupid and tried to see if it would take the sticker and residue off in one step. It can, but only when done with care.

If you've got a lot to remove, get this thing and be happy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AbG2kDRKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKN5_UfDik

Seabeejamie
06-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Haugy...That is awesome. Thanks for sharing....

wv_waterdumby
06-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Used the 3M adhesive remover, worked pretty good. I did buy the 3M stripe remover, didn’t use it yet but plan to soon. I picked it up at Advanced Auto Parts for $34.

haugy
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Haugy...That is awesome. Thanks for sharing....

Yeah it's great. I normally follow up with the spray adhesive remover just to make sure I've got it clean. If it's not, that stuff will help find it. Spray it on, and then wipe clean. Using the spray will help give you a smooth slick surface and the cloth will grab any spot you missed. Hit it with the stripe remover, and move on.

I did my old Mariah stripe removal with just a heat gun and the adhesive remover. I spent all day doing it. This thing had me done in 2 hours with way less stress and aggravation.

Sorry to sound like a salesman, but I can't imagine any of you guys trying to remove 20+ year old adhesive the old way when this is available.

Diggs
06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I always use Acetone or Lacquer Thinner. Just put some on a rag and wipe a away. Very easy and will not harm your gel coat.

haugy
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I always use Acetone or Lacquer Thinner. Just put some on a rag and wipe a away. Very easy and will not harm your gel coat.

Unless you have a painted hull like mine. :D

Ptownkid
06-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Acetone absolutely CAN harm your gelcoat...but you can use it if you are quick and gentle.

Diggs
06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I use acetone and lacquer thinner on every boat I have ever had and every bought and sold. It will NOT harm your gel coat or hull. I would not use it on a painted hull as said above.

Ptownkid
06-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, i use it too...but I've been told countless times to avoid it. I did some more internet digging and it appears that scientifically, it's fine.

Kip
06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Haugy's got it right

I used the 3m eraser wheel and it worked perfectly.

devovino
06-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I will second and third the magic eraser you can pick up at Napa or Schucks. I removed all my stripes and the adhesive no problem, it is pretty amazing how well it works, I never tried anything else, this worked amazingly!