PDA

View Full Version : Saltare Rotation

bdumas35
06-23-2011, 03:01 PM
I bought an 87 Saltare for rebuild that had the engine and starter locked up. Also, there is no prop. I'm trying to figure out the rotation. Nettle Props said it should be RH but i've seen some Saltare owners on here using LH. ??

Any info is appreciated.

beast 496
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
The engine is a LH rotation. What transmission do you have? If a borg warner velvet drive the prop will be a LH. If a PCM a RH. Al

haugy
06-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Not all Saltares are LH rotation. So you understand (in case you don't) the easiest way to check is to look at the flywheel of the boat from the stern. Looking toward the bow, does the flywheel turn left (counterclockwise) or does it turn right (clockwise). Left is left handed, right is right handed. Done. But.... You need to check the firing order (plug wires on distributor). I have a schematic at my office to show LH vs RH firing order.

That's how you check on a lockedup motor. I think a couple of others here have the firing order sheet as well. Maybe one of them can post it up if I can't find mine.

bdumas35
06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
The engine is a LH rotation. What transmission do you have? If a borg warner velvet drive the prop will be a LH. If a PCM a RH. Al

Yeah Al, mine is a Borg Warner Velvet Drvive. The firing order cast on the stock GM manifold is 18436572 (RH) but I don't think that necessarily means anything.

Thanks
Bobby

bdumas35
06-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Well, I figured it out. Found the engine tag with the firing order on it. Checked my manual and 18436572 is a LH. You were right Al.