PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Buying Boat in USA

doc 1
06-23-2011, 11:51 PM
I am looking to buy a boat in the states in the near future. I have previously purchased many snowmobiles and ATV's in the states. I know about paying both taxes and the stupid $207 RIV fee. I was wondering what registration I will need to register the trailer and boat in Canada.

mapleleaf
06-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I believe the US title should be enough at the border...For a vehicle import...

Ptownkid
06-24-2011, 06:39 AM
It depends on what state it's coming from...

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

If you scroll down there's a couple step-by-steps near the bottom of the page.

Diggs
06-24-2011, 09:54 AM
You need to call the manufacturer of the trailer and have them email or fax you a "letter of no recall". You need this to cross the border. It is free. Here are the things you will need and I encourage you to fax copies of it all to the border crossing before just to be sure.
-Letter of no recall for trailer
-Signed bill of sale (I would have one for boat and trailer)
-2 signed titles

You should be fine with this stuff.

Ptownkid
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Recall clearance has not been required for many years now, and some states are non-titling so you only need the title from a state that requires them.

Definitely get two separate invoices for the boat and trailer, way easier.

I did it a year ago and was in and out of the customs office in under 15 minutes.

doc 1
06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Awesome didn't know about the two seperate bills of sale. Also don't have to pay RIV on a vehicle over 15 years old sweet.

Diggs
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Interesting about the "letters of no recall"...... Are you sure? I help some canadians find boats in the states and prepare all their paperwork for them and RIV north of the Montana border and Washington border said they need them... Trailer companies are still providing them too.
I need to look into that if it did indeed change.

Ptownkid
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
If you look at the link I provide above, responses dating back as far as 2006 have people saying no longer needed...

They did not ask for mine either.

Cheers

Ptownkid
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey Doc1, you should add you location to your profile...helps people give advice in situations like this.

Diggs
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
I would make sure you have one. I have sold roughly 15 boats up there in the last 2 years and they have been required and according to the RIV site look like they are still required. http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx

Everyone has made it through customs in roughly 10-15 mins. One guy got stuck cause he did not have the actual title, but was going to try it. His boat sat at the border for a few additional weeks.

Bottom line is not sure who is right, but they are all very easy steps and I would make sure I had it or risk some major headaches.

Ptownkid
06-24-2011, 12:29 PM
More than likely, they still require recall clearance on almost all "vehicles" and no longer require it for trailers. You are right though, all it takes is a simple e-mail or phone to get it and be better safe than sorry.

Diggs
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Right from the RIV site. It says trailers and allows you to select the trailer Manufacturer and then lists all steps and contact info to get it:

Recall clearance
Recall clearance documents verify that any defects identified by the manufacturer as a potential safety risk to the vehicle’s operator, occupants and public at large, have been corrected.
Recall clearance is the responsibility of the importer. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) will not release the inspection form for your vehicle until confirmation that there are no outstanding recalls, has been received.
To facilitate the timely release of your vehicle’s RIV inspection form and avoid delays or additional expenses, we recommend that you get your recall clearance documents early in the import process. Documents remain valid for 30 days prior to import and you can submit your recall information to RIV before you import the vehicle.
To submit recall clearance documents:
Fax: 1-888-642-9899 (recall clearance documents only)
E-mail: [email protected]
In person or by mail: Contact us.
To obtain recall clearance documentation, select a vehicle type and manufacturer for contact information.
Manufacturer Search

Vehicle type:

Manufacturer:

1713 Henry G. Lane Street
Maryville, TN, US, 37801

Phone #: 865 273-1100
Fax #: 423 688-3990
Web site address: www.boatmatetrailers.com
In order to alert manufacturers to future recall clearance document requests, RIV sends them a list of VINs for vehicles that have been imported into Canada. This information also assists the manufacturer to locate the current owner of the vehicle should there be a future recall.
Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation
RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:
A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.
A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.
Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site.
Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites specific to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.
Vehicles with multiple manufacturers
If you are importing a bus, limousine or any other vehicle that results from more than one manufacturer, you may require two recall clearance documents. Where the final stage manufacturer provides a recall clearance letter that also references the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) recall information, only one letter is necessary.
Normally, the recall clearance letter from the final stage manufacturer will say, "Please contact the chassis manufacturer for recall information.” It is your responsibility to determine the number of recall clearance letters that are necessary. The final stage manufacturer of your vehicle can also assist you with this.
Need assistance?
Help/FAQ
Glossary
Helpful links
Contact us
Track Your Case
Make an RIV Payment

DAFF
06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Make sure both boat and trailer have titles. If the vehicles are over 15 year old no riv and you will have to pay taxes on the purchase price. Keep both items seperate in the paperwork and it is super easy......

You have to send the title of the boat away in the mail and the trailer title can be switched at Service Canada.

doc 1
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks Guys. We will see what happens just looking right now.

docdrs
06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Are you looking new or used? What are ya thinking of?

doc 1
06-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Used and a Supra Sunsport.

docdrs
06-26-2011, 03:23 PM
how old of one? just curious. do you have pictures?

doc 1
06-28-2011, 05:19 PM
It's a 1988 going to "look" at it on Thursday. It's a project boat.

DAFF
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
There is a super nice Marauder on Kijiji right now... Needs a trailer but the price is very good. By looking at the boat it has been well cared for. Trailers are EZ to find in the us. In fact there is a basket case of a Sunsport near clevland which needs everthing but only $800 takes all. The trailer cleaned up would fetch $2000 in these parts. The trailer is a tandem to boot.