PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in bildge

duckseatfree
06-24-2011, 11:55 AM
So I just noticed a little bit of fuel in the bildge. I this can be very dangerous because the vapors are, of course, very flammable.

Does this mean the fuel pump needs to be replaced? I think its running down (very little) from the bottom of the pump .

cadunkle
06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
It may be one of the fittings on the pump or fuel line leaking. Of course it could alos be a diaphragm. Get all the liquid fuel cleaned up and ventilate all the vapor out. Put a rag or towel below the leaking area and start the engine. Watch closely not just where you see fuel dripping but find where it's coming from. If you don't find it quickly, stop the engine, clean up the fuel and vapor, and repeat. I get very nervous about fuel leaks on boats since it's not well ventilated like under the hood of a car, so be careful.

sydneyACE
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah, it can be hard to determine where the fuel-leak is coming from. Try and get it cleaned-up good then run it and see where it's coming from.

If it's coming from the area of the fuel pump, it's most likely a loose hose-clamp or cracked fuel-line. It could be the fuel pump's gasket. If the fuel pump is bad (a punctured diaphragm) it will send fuel out the "return" "overflow" line (the third one), which should be routed into the carburetor through the spark-arrestor. (This is to prevent fuel in the bilge.)

I had to change my pump because of this...

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby for safety.
Good luck!

relyt
06-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Make sure your oil drain hose if you have one is sticking up in the air connected to the engine of course. Mine had fell to the floor and with pressure it would slightly leak make the water appear like it had gas in it. A good clean up took care of the issue.

tstruth
07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Did you find the cause of the fuel in the bilge?

duckseatfree
07-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Did you find the cause of the fuel in the bilge?

I did. The hose to the pump wasn't tight. Luckily, it was an easy fix.