PDA

View Full Version : River Monster

rdlangston13
06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
This was shot and killed in the Trinity River in Leon County Texas a few days ago. Our favorite riding spot is the Trinity River in Trinity Texas maybe 100 miles or less down river from where this was killed.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/alligator5_sp.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/alligator4_sp.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/alligator6_sp.jpg

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Dallas-lawyer-kills-900-lb-gator-in-Trinity-River-124495299.html

jet
06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Dont let my wife see this post. She will never get back in the water. lol

haugy
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
That's alot of belts, wallets, and boots. And some good eatin. :D

jsandy
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Glad those are'nt in Alabama. Only river monsters we have to watch for are big girls on jet skis

Okie Boarder
06-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Only river monsters we have to watch for are big girls on jet skis

I would argue those are worse. Once those sink their teeth into you, they never let go.

haugy
06-24-2011, 05:03 PM
As far back in the creek as you are Jsandy, I'm surprised you haven't seen a gator yet.

I've seen them on Wilson lake. Not that big, but they are occasionally there. Happy swimming. And yes, I'm very serious. :D

riderite
06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
You guys have some big balls getting into water that something like that is in... no way no how...

rdlangston13
06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
You guys have some big balls getting into water that something like that is in... no way no how...

thats about 50 miles up river from where we ride. girls family has a lake house on a cove on lake livingston and there is a 3-4 footer that lives in their cove. i have never seen one where we ride which is about 12 miles from there house on the mouth of the river that feeds the lake

doc 1
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
I would not be swimming in that river!!

pap
06-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Wow, that looks like a HUGE gator to me. My wife would make me sell the boat if we had those around here.

docdrs
06-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Gators that big are pretty smart , they know where not to go and what to stay away from.....Ie humans..... thats how they get so big......its the younger aggressive stupid testosteronized gators that are the nasty ones.

cadunkle
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Guess I'll cross Texas off the states to move to.

rdlangston13
06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
I was watching some show on animal planet about how smart gators actually are. They will stalk prey for days and learn habits so they can determine the best time to strike.

There was this group camping on a river and they had been there for 3 or 4 days and a gator attacked them at night, went straight for the tent. If there is a lot of human activity such as boats driving around the gators will usually stay away. they also dont come out till evening/sunset. I have never seen one where we ride. I have seen road kill gators in louisiana though.

csuggs
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Pretty good incentive not to wip out! Start at the dock, finish at the dock.

sybrmike
06-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah, we got gators here for sure - even the small creeks and much farther inland than you'd think.

Craziest I ever saw was back in my college ski team days. At one of the small private lakes we had access to - had to chase the gators off the jump ramp if you wanted to practice. Like you said, good motivation to stick the landings...

cigars n scotch
06-30-2011, 09:45 PM
there is no way I'd be in a river that had those monsters in it. no way! you are all brave! the worse thing we have to worry about is 3-eyed fish jumping! (kidding, but about 2 years ago a friend was driving and pulling a rider and a 2ft. carp jump up into the air right as he was passing and landed smack on the driver's windshield). That's enough to scare you.

rdlangston13
06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
there is no way I'd be in a river that had those monsters in it. no way! you are all brave! the worse thing we have to worry about is 3-eyed fish jumping! (kidding, but about 2 years ago a friend was driving and pulling a rider and a 2ft. carp jump up into the air right as he was passing and landed smack on the driver's windshield). That's enough to scare you.

yeah but how long is your riding season in New Jersey? I am talking about shorts only riding season...

ditchsnake
07-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Gators and snakes. I guess colorado is just fine without palm trees. You guys are outta your fricken minds.
Yeah, we got gators here for sure - even the small creeks and much farther inland than you'd think.

Craziest I ever saw was back in my college ski team days. At one of the small private lakes we had access to - had to chase the gators off the jump ramp if you wanted to practice. Like you said, good motivation to stick the landings...

cigars n scotch
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
yeah but how long is your riding season in New Jersey? I am talking about shorts only riding season...
I would say a good a good 5 months even though this year did not cooperate as it rained a bunch in April and May.

rdlangston13
07-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I would say a good a good 5 months even though this year did not cooperate as it rained a bunch in April and May.

i dont go if the water is below 65 degrees so my season usually last from march to october. i have friends that do the dry suit thing and go year round though.