PDA

View Full Version : z5 cargo rack bimini removal? traveling

08 sacked supra
06-26-2011, 02:41 PM
hello everyone its been a long time since i have been on the forum after breifly searching google and the forum i havent had any luck finding anyone who has removed one of these for travel?. usually when we travel we just put some tie downs on the rack to the tower. we have a trip coming up and this will be our first trip to shasta for the week of the 4th and was wondering if anyone takes the bimini off for the long hauls? any input is appreciated thanks.

jonyb
06-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Take it off.... I didn't remove mine the first few times I towed my boat and where the wind blew the fabric and it rubbed against the railing, it rubbed a hole eventually. It only takes about 5 minutes to take it off, and another 5 to reinstall it. You'll probably hear comments that say it's okay, and it may be, but if you want to keep the fabric in good condition or make it last, take it off.

docdrs
06-26-2011, 03:21 PM
If you take it off, where do you put it for the trip?

08 sacked supra
06-26-2011, 04:29 PM
is the removal of the bimini from the cargo rack itself an option? and if so is it pretty self explanitory?

tg0824SSVGG
06-26-2011, 04:40 PM
I have done it both ways -- now I just take the fabric off, and I have some straps I put on the actual Z5 itself (just in case).

On my first road trip with it, I tried dropping the entire rig into the boat itself and I tied it down inthe boat - but the pointy parts at the front still did some serious damage to the vinyl near the drivers seat.

Take off the fabric. It's not too hard to figure out how -- but pay attn to how it comes off to get it back correctly.

On both sides is a flap, about dead-center that has straps with clips on them. Open those, and you will see a little ratchet gizmo on either side. Once you take the pressure off with those, you can see how the "ropes" thread thru -- some of the ropes come apart with small little balls/loops.

On the front on one side, there is a zipper on the "pointy part" of the top, you need to undo that - and work the top off.

Sorry - that's not too clear.

rdlangston13
06-26-2011, 07:47 PM
If I am towing over 100 miles I take the canvas off. I have the same situation where I did not take it off every and then I got holes rubbed in the canvas from the frame. Makes sure when you take the canvas off that you dont loose any of the loop and ball strings. It takes a good 10-15 minutes to take off and put back on but it is worth it to keep it damage free. I have a plastic tote that I store that canvas in when i do take it off.

pap
06-26-2011, 09:22 PM
I keep mine in place. Putting it in the boat (a 2009 21V) places serious dents into the vinyl and is more likely to cause damage, IMO. I tow up to an hour or so each way, up to 65mph. I do have the "extra" front straps in place, which is supposed to help.

If I was going to tow a long trip, I'd take it off and store it with some extra cushions and then put the travel cover on top.

Never tried to take the fabric off, have heard horror stories from others who did, so just didn't even think that as an option.

Oh, and the maker says it's ok as well:

http://www.z5sportracks.com/content/faqs

docdrs
06-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Is it the front leading edge that takes the damage? maybe cover it with masking take for a long trip?

tg0824SSVGG
06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Taking the cover off it not hard -- and once you've done it a few times, it's pretty quick.

Really only gets hard if you didn't pay attn to how it came off, including routing of the "rope". Also - try not to let one of the ropes come out -- they can be fun to thread back thru - but I have found the handle of a skier down flag to work pretty well for that too!

I can't imagine what a new cover will cost, I have a few small holes in mine - because I
used to haul to Lake Powell (500 miles each way) with it on, a few times a year. Now I take it off ...

The Squeaky Wheel
06-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Timely post, as I'm trailering from No Colorado to Lake powell in a month.
Sounds like I'll be taking mine off......