PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor expert needed

csuggs
06-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I need to talk to someone that knows how to set up a 4160 for the PCM 351W. I'm nearly at wits end dealing with flooding issues and ready to buy new, but before I spend $500 on a new one I thought I might give this thing one last chance.
Any takers? Please help if you can . . .:(

Sunsport87
07-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I am having the same problem and I even rebuilt my carb. My issue is i can see fuel droplets coming down from the bar above the secondaries. I called holley tech. (270-782-2900) and the first thing the guy said was to check the fuel pressure. Shouldn't be above 7psi. if it is you got a bad pump which may be the problem. I haven't tried checking my pressure yet but you may want to invetigate this.

Jetlink
07-01-2011, 11:39 PM
That sounds more like a float failure to me. My Holly 4160 did the exact same thing to me about a month ago. Take the carb off, place it on a sheet of paper and draw a circle around it as the problem is within the circle...lol I swapped it out for an Edelbrock as many of my marine buddies do the swap and swear by it. Happy so far, but then again it is a brand new carb.

DAFF
07-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Carbs are very much all the same. If it was me take a look at you tube and locate a video of someone working on a Holley simular to yours. Order a seal kit/rebuild kit and break into the top. Worst thing that could happen is you have to buy a new one.

csuggs
07-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Done that fellas - see my thread "Holley 4160 Issues".

It seems like there are an awful lot of us having trouble with carbs and fuel. I just wonder sometimes if it's our gas . . .

Anyways, I'm working steadily on the problem and will keep everyone updated on the other thread mentioned above.

rludtke
07-02-2011, 12:09 PM
The 4160 is truly a very simple device. It meters fuel like a toilet meters water, only it does it constantly, while the toilet only does it after you have a few beers.

The only way the carb can flood, is either 1) the float needle valve does not close completely, or 2) if it is damaged and leaks when full seated.

If it is 1), the possible root causes are:
a) The float has a leak and has become full of fuel and will no longer actually float, or is floating low. Remove the float in question, and shake it near your ear to listen for sloshing within. Replace if it is has fuel within.
b) The float level adjustment is incorrect. If adjusted to high, the float needle valve will never close. Reduce the float level until the condition goes away. Test run on the lake for stumbles under acceleration. If stumble exists, try increasing float level a small amout to reduce/eliminate the stumble.
c) The float needle valve may be held open because of a foreign object. This object could be microscopic in size. Internal carb cleanliness is everything. Make sure all specks of debri are no longer present within the float bowls, and that no more will get in. Ensure that your fuel system has a 5 micron filter, do not really on just the water separator.

If it is 2), then examine the float valve needle and seat. A wear ring may be visible on the needle. If bad enough, the needle will no longer seal. Also look for any scratches present on the black tip surface of the needle. A tiny sratch could allow unmetered fuel to pass. The needle and seat are cheap, so replace them if their history is unknown, or if you have any doubt.

These are the ONLY reasons why a Holley will drip and flood. By covering these bases, you should be able to solve your flooding problems.

csuggs
07-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks Rick - sound advice. Sounds like I should add the additional fuel filter. What did you use?

rludtke
07-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks Rick - sound advice. Sounds like I should add the additional fuel filter. What did you use?

I purchased an in-Line filter from NAPA for a Ford 351. I cut out a section of the fuel tube between the pump and carburator, and clamped in the filter. I located it in the line where it would not conflict with anything, and would be easy to access when replacing it. The filter comes with two short lenghts of hose and clamps. Easy job.

craigfee
07-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I had the same issue on my 87 Comp. I adjusted the front float to 15/32's and the issue was fixed. Been running the boat now for about 3 weeks and no issues.

csuggs
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Problem solved!! It turned out to be the coil - when it got too hot it would start breaking up!