PDA

View Full Version : Slow leak near left exhaust

toepump
06-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I just purchased an 85 --TS6M Comp,
It runs great but has a slow leak near cooling water intake or left exhaust .
I don't know how it is constructed so I have difficult time tracing where the leak is originating.
Where can i get a drawing?
Where can I get an old O&M manual?
Is there a muffler inside the exhaust tube?

wotan2525
06-27-2011, 09:51 AM
It's probably leaking at the SupraTrapp. Pull it off, clean out the old gasket material and put it back on using 3M 4200 or Black RTV to seal.

toepump
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
what is the Supratrapp?
Can anyone send me a schematic drawing of the area where the exhaust hooks up with the muffler or tail pipe.is there one on line at Supra ?
The leak is small but I store boat in the water and need to keep it pumped out every couple hours.
I just bought a float control for the bilge pump

wotan2525
06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, there isn't any literature or service manuals for boats that old. (At least not that we've ever seen show up on this board.) The Supratrapp is the part of the exhaust that you can see from the outside of the boat.

I'm not finding a good photo of what they look like, but here's a photo of one:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/768050.jpg

You can see that the one on the right has the Supratrapp and the one on the left has been removed to be resealed (which is exactly what you need to do.)

wotan2525
06-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Here's another photo:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/fiberglass-composite-boat-building/18891d1203198754-ski-boat-stringer-sole-replacement-2007_1226image0006supertrappsm.jpg

Pull off that center nut, the outside cover will come off. Remove the plates and you'll be left with a flange that mounts to the boat. Remove that flange, clean the old gasket material, wire brush the flange clean and then reseal with 3m 4200 or black RTV. It's not a hard job but I think a mechanic could also handle it in an hour.

oward1202
06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I also have an 85 comp and had to do this a month or so ago. I fought the leak all last year and finally found the leak. It's easy to fix. You may also have to fill the flange holes and redrill new holes to make sure the screws have a bite when you put it back together. Also easy. Good luck. It should fix your problem.