PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Warning Light

Patrick56
06-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Well, I have a little problem I can't figure out.

2003' Launch SSV

While attempting to surf this weekend the v-drive warning light came on (after about an hour of running). I checked the oil level in the drive and it was near the low mark, but OK. I emptied the bags and limped back to the ramp. I filled the drive to the High mark and went for a test run.

When I took off the light went out (as expected), but after about 20 seconds of running the light blinked a few times and then stayed on solid. I slowed down and idled for a bit. I went through this process a few more times and each time the light would go out briefly as I accelerated and then come back on.

When I got back to the house I inspected the drive for any signs of trouble. The oil level was still at the High mark but there did appear to be some oil on the lower half of the case. I have cleaned everything in the area and will check after work today to see if I really have a leak or if I just spilled trying to refill at the ramp.

Is oil level the only important factor in the v-drive, or is pressure an issue? My understanding is the pressure sensor is an indirect way of monitoring oil level. Any suggestions on what to look at?

docdrs
06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
It could be a faulty pressure switch or bad connection. I,d make sure connections are not corroded. Then check pressure swicth voltage at connectors to see if its faulty You can call Walters Vdrive for more help they are great

Patrick56
06-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the input doc. I checked the v-drive yesterday after two days of sitting. I could not find any new oil that had leaked out onto the case or into the bildge. I did find a couple of drops of fresh oil on the end of the pressure switch. This leads me to believe you might be right. I pulled the serial # off of the v-drive last night and I will give Walters a call today to see what they think. I am almost hoping the switch is bad. It looks like something that will be a lot easier to access than a gasket or seal.

Patrick56
06-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Talked to Walters and they were very helpful. The tech guy suspects the pressure switch given my description of what is going on. Only other possiblities are an air leak somewhere or a bad internal oil pump. Neither is likely. He did tell me that the v-drive should have 6-15 psi of pressure during normal operation. He said you can screw a 0-30 psi gauge in place of the pressure switch to check this. I might look into putting a T in the line and mounting one permanently. The tech also said I can order a new switch direct from Walters for $29.00.

It is nice when a manufacturer is helpful.

docdrs
06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Good to see your on the right track

Patrick56
07-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Update:
The pressure switch was the culprit. The new switch showed up this week. 10 minutes to swap out and everything is back to normal. Glad to get an easy one every once in awhile.