PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaner

haugy
06-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Alright guys, what do you use? I'm talking nasty as hell carpet that really needs a good scrubbing, and then wet vac'd.

What should I use? I don't mind scrubbing, and I've got a wet vac.

sybrmike
06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
If it's as nasty as you say - maybe good to invest in one of those small residential hand held steam cleaners or look into a commercial rental with a hand attachment?

Diggs
06-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Keep it simple. Park on a hill, pull the drain plug and pressure wash it. You will love the results. Spray some resolve, carpet cleaner, or degreaser on it first and let it soak for a few mins. Will give it a pleasant smell too. The shop vac it all out and and let it dry in the sun or in a well ventilated garage with fans.

Ptownkid
06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I got sick of how dirty mine was...and cleaned it with a utility knife.

haugy
06-27-2011, 05:12 PM
If it's as nasty as you say - maybe good to invest in one of those small residential hand held steam cleaners or look into a commercial rental with a hand attachment?

Are they small enough to get into the places we have?

Keep it simple. Park on a hill, pull the drain plug and pressure wash it. You will love the results. Spray some resolve, carpet cleaner, or degreaser on it first and let it soak for a few mins. Will give it a pleasant smell too. The shop vac it all out and and let it dry in the sun or in a well ventilated garage with fans.

Won't that blast the carpet out of there? Mine would blast crap all over the boat doing that . Have you done this before???

I got sick of how dirty mine was...and cleaned it with a utility knife.

That's this winter. I'm talking about for the summer just to get through it.

Diggs
06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Haugy I do it all the time. I buy and sell some boats on the side and every one that I buy I pressure wash the carpet. These are all newer boats with nice thick carpet, but I do it all the time and I know most dealers do too. You will love it. If you are concerned, just start with the nozzle far away at first. Pull all your seat cushions and put them in the garage and take the pressure washer and have fun. You will make a bit of a mess (not as much as you think), but it all cleans right up and you will be singing praises afterwords.
As with any thing else, if you are new at it, just take your time and start slowly.

haugy
06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm used to pressure washing rock crawlers, so being nice and tidy has never been a concern.

My only thought was when you put that much pressure on the carpet (even at distance) the debris has to blow somewhere. That's why I was worried about spreading the filth all over the place. But honestly it couldn't hurt. I'll give it a whirl.

Diggs
06-27-2011, 05:39 PM
park on a hill and most of it will run out your drain plug. start at the nose and work your way back. hit it with the shop vac after and you will get any left over debri. wife down your fiberglass and upholstery and you will see.

Disclaimer.... I have never seen your carpet, so if it is old and falling apart, I would use caution, but if not, you will be fine...

haugy
06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
I am positive I would have no problems putting a spammer into a meat grinder. Damn spammers.

Back on topic:

I think I'm going to pass on the pressure washing. With wood everywhere and me trying to make sure it's dried and cured, the last thing I need to do is pressure wash it. I'm going to have to try plan B. Get carpet cleaner, spray in, scrub the hell out of it, and vacuum. Repeat if necessary.

Not to mention I don't have time to let it air dry for 24 hours. I've got work to do on it.

KG's Supra24
06-29-2011, 09:36 AM
I use the little green machine from walmart.

In this instance, a rental from the local home depot might be a better idea.

haugy
06-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Do they make them small? I'm not a v-drive so it's tight around the engine box and stuff. It would be hard to get a regular steam cleaner in there.

Bkrobz
06-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Here's a second for the little green machine from walmart. Don't know about ridiculously dirty carpets but works great for maintaining carpets.

Okie Boarder
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
You could do the rental and add in the upholstery attachment for the tight spots. You definitely won't get any type of full size machine in some of the tight pots around the engine. I've used the little green machine borrowed from a friend and it works well.

Salty87
06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
you should have better access if you take the doghouse out. i do that sometimes with the home vacuum. take the seat bases out and you can move in. :>)

dickboxers
06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
detail shop does my carpet every year for $40. I drop it off, and then go to lunch. Pick up and let it dry in parking lot at work. Then everythings perfect when i get home.:)

haugy
06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
detail shop does my carpet every year for $40. I drop it off, and then go to lunch. Pick up and let it dry in parking lot at work. Then everythings perfect when i get home.:)

That's actually not a bad idea! Hmmmmmm

jet
06-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Haugy...did you do a thread on head units and remotes?? Im looking for it? Jet

KG's Supra24
06-29-2011, 10:55 PM
A detail shop is likely to powerwash right? Especially if you are picking it up in an hour.

W wehen went to pick up dustys boat the carpet was almost bad enough to walk away from the deal. Dealer powerwashed it while we went to lunch and when we got back it was a day/night differences.

haugy
06-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Haugy...did you do a thread on head units and remotes?? Im looking for it? Jet

In the audio section towards the bottom of the forums on the main page.

I'll consider it, but it would need at least 24 hours to dry. And with me doing the tranny tomorrow night, and then hopefully a test run Friday, looks like I won't be pressure washing this week.

Sluggo
07-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Well I had a lot of brown in my gray carpet and the normal hose pressure with a nozzle would make it look good while wet, but when it dried, it looked only moderatly better. I tried the pressure washer without any chemicals and WOW, what a difference. I was careful and started on a section that is under the drivers seat and on a lower setting. I gradually increased to the "general" setting on a 2700psi gas pressure washer. Kept the wand about 6-8" from the floor and it really worked well. By no means does it look brand new, but alot closer than it has ever been over the last several seasons and I didn't have to use any chemicals. Anyway, just thought I would share. Oh, and it did get crap everywhere, but I started near the helm and worked backward and everthing was washed into the bilge or off the back or sides with a regular hose pressure.

Dave

rkmfl
07-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I can't say enough about the pressure washing technique myself.

If you have too much dirt, the trick is vacuuming once or twice with a shop-vac before you pressure wash.

As long as you remember that pressure washing is only intended to blast out the final items that vacuuming did not, I think it's probably the quickest/easiest thing someone can do to maintain their boat!

foxriverat
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Talked to my buddy this weekend about pressure washing. He said he used to do his that way. But now the glue doesnt stick anymore and he has loose carpeting. So Be carefull.