PDA

View Full Version : 2005 speakers

peppermdx
04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
does anyone know the model# for the 6.5" kenwood speakers in 2005? I am looking to replace my stock speakers in my 2004 ssv

Brian Raymond
04-07-2005, 10:25 PM
You can call your dealer, or, contact; [email protected]. Brian Raymond

Vapor-rub
04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Your 2004 SSV came stock with Kenwoods??? Is it a GG edition? My 2004 SSV came stock with 50w Magnadyne's that are completely worthless. They were one of the first things I replaced.

It would have been nice to at least have some decent stock speakers to get me by until I got around to improving the stereo. With the Magnadyne pieces of junk that came with the boat I couldn't wait that long.

fire fighter
04-20-2005, 08:09 AM
i replaced my stock magnadynes (I thought my ears were bad) with Polk DB650s. I found them new on Ebay for 60 dollars a pair. Retail is 119 a pair.

Great speakers.

05-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Fire Fighter and Vapor-rub,

I too want to replace my Magndyne's with Polks but I'm concerned that the impression made by the Magnadyne's will be larger than the the cover for the Polks. How well did your Polk covers do at covering up where the Magnadynes were? Any concern about them not being marine grade? Thanks,

Joe Gates

05-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Fire Fighter and Vapor-rub,

I too want to replace my Magndyne's with Polks but I'm concerned that the impression made by the Magnadyne's will be larger than the the cover for the Polks. How well did your Polk covers do at covering up where the Magnadynes were? Any concern about them not being marine grade? Thanks,

Joe Gates

Joe Gates
05-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Vapor-rub and Fire Fighter,

I'm also interested in replacing my Magndynes with either Polks or Kenwoods. I was wondering how well either one of them covered up the impression the Magnadyne's left on the padding they were mounted too. These speakers have to go. Did you by chance put a sub and amp in as well? Wondering what you have? Any concern about the speakers not being marine grade. Thanks,

Joe Gates

Vapor-rub
05-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Joe,

I replaced them with 6.5 Pioneers. They just barely covered the impressions the Magnadyne's left in the vinyl. I really can't notice anymore where the impressions were. They have more or less gone away. You can find 6 3/4" speakers from some manufacturers that would probably do the trick a little better.

I did not use marine speakers. As long as you get a poly cone as opposed to a paper cone, you should be okay. However, you may want to make sure the speakers you get for the bow are fairly waterproof. I've taken a few rollers over the bow and those front speakers get soaked rather easily. So far so good. No problems yet.

Yes, I did add an amp and sub. Just a cheapo Sony amp and a no name sub that I got from a pawn shop. They do not rock the lake, but they sound plenty good while inside the boat. Even when running at WOT.

Richard

Joe Gates
05-05-2005, 09:46 AM
fire fighter,

How do you like your Polk db650s? I have a Polk home theater system that sounds great. Any concern about the 650's getting wet? Joe

JGates
05-07-2005, 05:54 AM
FYI everyone,

I just bought a pair of Polk Momos MMC 650. I'll let you know how they sound and look. They've got to be better than the magnadynes...JG

fire fighter
05-11-2005, 07:58 PM
sorry so long to respond.

The polks sound great. I wish i had ordered the same model but in a 6 3/4" size. The magnadynes are a bit bigger than the 6 1/2 polks, but probably almost exactly the same as the 6 3/4. I have a pretty noticeable dent all around the outer speaker ring, but my wife has convinced me that it is not noticeable since it is so uniform. It would have cost me sixty bucks to ship them back then have the 6 3/4 sent out. The biggest problem with the 6 1/2 speakers is that the mounting screws barely had enough surface to screw into, due to the larger hole from the MagnaDynes.

They do sound great. If i had ordered the 6 3/4 then things would have been perfect. Great sound, more bass than the 6 1/2", easy mounting. As it stands now, the 6 1/2" are secured installed, they sound great, but have just a very little less bass than the 6 3/4 speakers and the dent is going away.

msutoad
05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I have the 6 3/4 polk in my Launch SSV, and they sound great, and cover the magnadyne indentations. I am very happy with them!!!

JGates
05-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Yep, the 6 3/4 would have been the way to go. The 6 1/2 do show a bit but hopefully the Magnadyne impressions will fade.

Anyone have an amp and sub? I was looking at the Polk Audio 400.4 w/ a 10" sub. Curious as to how/where everyones subs are located. I was looking at under the dash but wonder if the is enough room behing the wall plus how it may sound. Did anyone have to add any sound-proofing like materials. Thanks,

joe

jdaugherty5
05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
we put a sealed 12" sub box under the driver side dash in front of the kick panel. A tight fit but both the sub and Amp fit in the compartment. sounds great, doubt the fish like it thou.

IndyMatt
08-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Regarding the part number for the Kenwood speakers used in the 2005 line; They are Skiers Choice part number 104922 and are available for order through your dealer. I have e-mailed Kenwood for a cross reference with that speaker and other marine type speakers as well as pricing.
Hey Jd~ I like the placement of your sub and amp but just curious... Do you have a heater in that location as well? Did all three components fit?

msutoad
08-22-2005, 10:18 AM
I have a heater and my sub behind the kick plate. I did not put the AMP in there as it was too hot. There is not enough air flow behind the kick plate if you plan to run the AMP with any given volume, and the air temp being above 80.

I have a 10 JL 10W3 in a sealed box, and have it hitting as hard as a 12 with the sub firing into the hull. It is all about cubic feet ( volume ) and woofer placement :).

I have my heater all the way in the front off to the left ( I have the playpen ) in the kick plate location. E-mail me @ [email protected] if you want to see pictures.

Jason

IndyMatt
08-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Attention Readers: Stupid Question Comming:

For those of you who have replaced your speakers, do the 6 1/2 inch speakers have a universal mounting template? Will the new speakers fit the mounting holes (specifically the screw holes) or will I have to drill new mounting holes? Ive decided that my mechanical threshold must be limited to repairs I can still execute after a day at the sand bar!!

silvtongdvl
08-23-2005, 06:43 AM
The speakers you seek must be 6 3/4" size too. Sony's, polk, MB Quart, to name a few. The sony is 6 1/2 or 6 3/4" speaker size on the box. Polks and MB Quarts will cover the make for sure - I think the Sonys just make it.
If you get 6 3/4" speakers - the pattern for the screws should be the same.
~S~

LVAXIS250R
09-07-2005, 12:42 AM
i just put 4 pairs of 6" kicker ks seperates and 2 kicker l7 square subs with 2 kicker digital amps. used stock locations and mounted the subs underneath the drivers side gauges. i have an 05 ssv. also installed a second battery and perko battery switch. boat sounds great and had many people comment on how good it sounds. we also mounted to crossflow stinger fans to cool the amps witch are mounted under the paasenger side next to the batteries. should have pix soon so i will post them. any questions i will be glad to help.
allan

Supra-Steve
09-26-2005, 08:46 PM
KFC-1679ie is the kenwoods speaker model in the 2005 supra's

msutoad
09-28-2005, 06:49 AM
FYI... I had the Polks db 675's in my 04 SSV, and they did not last 6 months. They did not have water problems, but I melted 1, and the others were having cone problems. I was not over driving them, the material was just destroying itself. I contacted Polk, and they said because I had not bought them from an authorized Polk dealer they would do nothing. Although they did acknowledge it was a defect and it should be replaced :(.

I have since gone to some 6.75 Alpine speakers and they sound really good, and look alot better too.

Jason

Supra-Steve
09-30-2005, 11:33 AM
if you want a true marine speaker than has more RMS power handling than almost every 6.5 speaker you can find, check this out:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4332.html

i'm going to be get 4 pairs of these for my 21v. That site is also the cheapest place on the internet i could find. most places are selling them for well over $100/pair.

IndyMatt
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey Supra-Steve!! Please review those speakers when you get them installed. I am also looking for a replacement of my magnodynes, I like the look and the price is much better than most.