PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit

levenge
06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I am sure this will not apply to everyone moving from points to Electronic Ignition w/ the Pertronix Ignitor, however I hope to spare anyone about to perform the upgrade the issue I had over this past weekend.

I have a 1987 Sunsport Skier w/ the 351W.

Essentially I followed the directions to a "t" and my boat would hardly start and would then immediately die while backfiring through the carb. I went through the directions again, plate goes Counter Clockwise, red to positive/ black to neg, disengage ballast resistor due to new coil, etc. and still the same outcome. I decided I must have done something wrong and I searched the forums for answers yet couldn't quite get the right answer. Resigned myself to the fact that I would just have to take it to the shop and hopefully they would figure it out without costing an arm and a leg. Called the shop this am, only one tech for the week and booked solid. Crushed and still no answer I called Vince @ Skidim per various other threads direction( I bought the conversion kit through them too), explained the problem and he said...."switch the plate to the clockwise setting and it will work". I literally left the office, straight to the house and switched the plate.....fired up first time and easier than it ever has before!

So, every Ford 351W is Counter Clockwise in the distributor rotation per all the reserch I performed this weekend however for some reason this conversion kit requires the setting to be clockwise. From what Vince told me, this is not the case for everyone yet it was for me and has been for enough other people that he immediate knew the answer to the problem.

Hope this helps someone and saves them time & angst.

Cheers!

BTW, it is great to have a store like Skidim that you can call and get an answer to a question so easily...not many places like that around anymore.

Blackntan90
06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Amen to that! Vince at skidim is a great guy- he will take time to explain something without making you feel like an idiot! Love skidim!