PDA

View Full Version : Cracked block, blown head gasket or ???

WadsworthSunsport22V
06-27-2011, 11:07 PM
I just spent a week on the water with my 2007 Sunsport 22 running awesome (5.7 L 340 hp). The last day on the water (to pull my boat out) my engine was not revving. I placed it back in neutral and disengaged the transmission and the engine reved fine. I put it back in gear and all was good for about two minutes when the engine went to protection mode, but without firing the check engine light.

I slowly made my way to the marina but with a serious problem. Water was coming into the boat at an alarming rate. Both bilges were pumping water, but they could not keep up. The water was above my ankles at the helm station and was very hot. Not scalding, but much hotter than any hot tub I have been in.

Through out my journey to the marina I was watching the oil pressure and water temperature. The oil pressure was normal but the water temperature seemed low. It was at 125 degrees (f). It usually is around 155 degrees (f).

Upon getting my boat onto the trailer I pulled the drain plug and hot water gushed out - for a long long time. I then looked closer at the engine and noticed that a hose on the starboard side had come off. This hose is on the top of the engine. There is a similar hose in the top of the engine on the port side. I am guessing these are the hoses for the raw water intake. It was also clear that water was spraying in the engine compartment.

The real bad news came from when I pulled the oil dipstick and saw it was milky looking. I am by no means an engine mechanic, but I am fairly certain milky looking oil can only happen with a crack in the engine block or a blown head gasket.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is one hose for incoming water and one hose for outgoing water?
2. Is it possible to get water in the air intake and then mix with the engine oil?
3. Why would the check engine light not come on, but the engine go to protect mode?
4. Why was the engine temperature reading less than usually?

PS. Sorry about my typos. I am using my iPhone and it is hard to proof read.

docdrs
06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
what engine do you have? 340 cat?

there will be a hose coming from the impeller on the starboard side to the t stat housing then from there a j hose down to the circulating pump on the port side. then a hose (2 with the cats) will come off the housing to the exhaust manifolds and cats. sounds like one to the exhaust manifold came off.

I would reconnect the hose, change the oil n filter then see if you have milky oil again, water could have gotten in thru the pcv valve on top of the valve cover......maybe only know a little , sure others may chime in

did you take a pic?

WadsworthSunsport22V
06-27-2011, 11:37 PM
what engine do you have? 340 cat?

there will be a hose coming from the impeller on the starboard side to the t stat housing then from there a j hose down to the circulating pump on the port side. then a hose (2 with the cats) will come off the housing to the exhaust manifolds and cats. sounds like one to the exhaust manifold came off.

I would reconnect the hose, change the oil n filter then see if you have milky oil again, water could have gotten in thru the pcv valve on top of the valve cover......maybe only know a little , sure others may chime in

did you take a pic?

Yes it is the 340 cat. I did take a picture but have not downloaded it off my camera yet. I was pretty upset on Saturday when it happened and was to turn on my computer. I think you are correct that is is one of the hoses from the exhaust. The boat is at the dealer now. Hopefully I will have some news this week.

docdrs
06-27-2011, 11:46 PM
here is a pic of mine

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/docdrs/DSCF0470.jpg

WadsworthSunsport22V
06-28-2011, 06:48 AM
That looks just like mine. The hose I am talking about is shown next to your Red Phillips screw driver.

docdrs
06-28-2011, 07:47 AM
water could have gotten in thru your dipstick tube possibly as well......i;d check all clamps and change oil as previous and test run .......hope this is all

wotan2525
06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a cooling issue and not an engine issue. Excessive water in the bilge can find a way into the engine. Change your oil, change your filter, run, flush with new oil again, run again and keep an eye on it. Good luck!

pwildbil
06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Get that milky oil out ASAP!!!!!! Put in fresh oil/filter and run it a couple minutes and flush it again and again til no more milky oil. The longer that milky oil is in your motor the more their is a chance to damage it!!!