PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform

BeachFarmer
06-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Greetings:

I have a 2008 21V I purchased in 2010.

I happened to be looking at the swim platform brackets the other day and noticed that one of the five screws was loose on one side. I put a screw driver on it and found out the screw was snapped and was just hanging in the bracket hole.

To get the broken screw out, I took the other 4 screws out...all of which didn't seem to be very tight. Additionally, when I removed these 4 screws, 2 of them were snapped off about a 1/2" from the tapping end of the screw (they appear to be 3" self tapping screws).

So if I do the repair myself, I will have 3 screws at 3"'s and 2 screws at 2 1/2"...I would dip the screws in 3M 4200 or 5200. Is this the right approach? The screws on the other bracket are solid and I've left untouched.
OR
Should I process through the dealer and SC. How would they fix it...they won't be able to get the tips of the broken screws off.

Thanks in advance...

wakejmpr
06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
i had the same problem with mine too except that all of my screws came out and my platform started floating away. if its still under war i would suggest seeing what the dealer says. But i can promise you that it will happen again. i was a little more bold and decided to drill through my platform and put 6" ss screws through and on the underside used ss washers and bolts with nylock. never had a problem since

BeachFarmer
06-29-2011, 08:15 AM
thanks wakejpr...the bolting the bracket option you suggest is what has also been done by others in the forum. however, it would be major work on the boat to install this configuration...pull up carpet and excavate a hole in the rear ski locker near the back side of the screws. i've got an email into the dealer and haven't heard back. maybe i'll call sc directly.

i completed the fix last night...hopefully it will hold..,

wakejmpr
06-30-2011, 09:52 AM
If you have issues with the brackets that mount to the rear hull I would have the dealer repair that. I'm referring to the screws that hold the platform to the L brackets. But right on for getting after the repair. It should hold out