PDA

View Full Version : Tach Problems

Juice75
04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi - needing some help the tack on my '89 Comp. It's reading really low, and has since I bought the boat. At WOT, it only reads about 1500 RPM. Anybody have any ideas? Could it be wired wrong at the coil? It does operate smoothly; no jumping around or anything.

Thanks.

Brian Raymond
04-21-2005, 10:21 PM
There should be a small dial on the backside of the tach., it will indicate 4,6, or 8cyl. Verify it is on the correct setting, if it isn't, you will need a small (jewlers screwdriver) screwdriver to turn it to the correct indicator. Keep us posted. Brian Raymond

Juice75
04-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out in the morning, and let you know what I find.

Juice75
04-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I checkout the tach, and it was set to 8. There was also another dial on the back that was marked with an increasing slope. Kind of like a volume knob, showing min and max setting. Any idea what this is? It's located about an inch below the cylinder setting dial.

Brian Raymond
04-25-2005, 11:32 PM
That is exactly what that adj. is for, fine tuning. Turn it radically opposite of where it is now set. If there is no change in your reading, and the boat is running well, I would look at a tach. replacement. Verify your engine harness connection at the motor that it is good and tight. The gray wire is your tach. lead, so make sure there is no corrosion and fits snuggly. If the tach. responds to the adj., an outside digital reading instrument can be used to fine tune the tach. Once set, 3000 rpms shoulde be equvilant to 30 mph. Keep us posted. Brian Raymond

Juice75
04-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks a lot, Brian! I'll test it out this weekend. I'm hoping to get on the water for the first time Saturday or Sunday. I'm just getting it back together after redoing some seats, new carpet, engine base and stereo. I'll keep you updated on the tach issue, and I'll post some pics of my baby when I'm done.