PDA

View Full Version : 1988 pleasurecraft 302 not getting water

nbarnabe
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum. My father and i are trying to figure out what is wrong with our boat. We recently changed the impeller in the sea water pump and after we put it back together, water was pouring out of the seal after start up, but the engine was being supplied with plenty of water, lots of water coming out the exhaust like normal. We took the pump back out and replaced the seal as well. The pump no longer leaks, but now there is no water coming from the left exhaust and very little coming out of the right. (we were running it on the trailer with a hose supplying the water). The right side exhaust manifold was staying reasonably cool, but the left heated up quite a bit.We tried bleeding the air out of the pump and that did nothing. We allowed it to reach running temp, thinking it might have something to do with the thermostat, but no luck. We also checked the manifold for blockage, but it seemed totally clear. We are out of ideas at this point and any help is greatly appreciated. Also, this is a sherwood g21 series pump. Thanks.

duckseatfree
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure, but did you make sure you put the pump in the right direction? Sometimes when you put it in backwards, it will still pump water in but not at the force/pressure that requires to cool the engine down.

michael hunter
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have the pump mounted upside down . The pump should be mounted with the hoses closest to the block see pic. Once you get it correct mark it to show top see arrow.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/waterpump001.jpg

Sunapee Sunsport
06-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Mike's right on I know I made this mistake when I first rebuilt my engine.

nbarnabe
06-29-2011, 02:11 PM
That sounds like it is most likely the issue, because the pump was working fine before we replaced the seal and it was just leaking, so when we pulled it to do the seal we may have forgotten how it was mounted and now its upside down. Thanks for the help everyone, i will definitely try this and let you know how it goes.

nbarnabe
06-29-2011, 04:30 PM
We just switched it around and that was definitely the issue. Thanks a bunch guys!