PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Supra ComBria -How do I replace Steering cable?

Robocon
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I looking for instructions on how t5o remove and replace the steering cable. Does the cable get removed freom the housing? Does the housing remain? I've disconnected the cable from the steering box but I haven't figured out how to pull it out of the housing? Any advice?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Robocon

sybrmike
06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Original should be a rotary helm (housing). The helm stays in place. Now that you've already got the cable nut unbolted from the helm, turn the wheel counter clockwise to full lock. This will extend the cable end out of the helm (careful it's probably messy with grease). Might take a little tug to pop the end out.

mapleleaf
06-29-2011, 10:35 PM
What Mike said and pay close attention to the position of the steering wheel while installing the new cable. I had trouble centering my wheel, it took me a couple try's.
Once you wind it out of the steering helm, I found it easier to remove it by pulling it towards the rear of the boat....
When all else fails call Vince at SkiDIM....

Robocon
06-30-2011, 03:08 AM
I was able to disconnect the end at the helm. The other end also has a nut that attaches to a hard metal end. Do I pull out from the Nut location or where it connects to the directional arm? I've also disconnected the end that connects to the directional Arm. Hoping that this is where it should be removed.

Please advise, I will also give Vince a call.

Thanks again for your advice.

Robert

beast 496
06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
The inner cable, movable part, and the outer sheath, are all one componet. This is an assy which needs to be replaced as one unit. Note many items could be wire tied to the cable assy. I connect the new assy to the old and then have a helper guide the new assy as I pull out the old. This helps faciltate the installation of the new cable. Good luck Al

sybrmike
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Like Al said, the inner steering cable and outer sheath get replaced as a single unit. At the rear, unscrew the nut on the end of the sheath that connects to the steering tube and slide the cable end (that you disconnected from the rudder tiller arm) forward through the steering tube.