PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Sun Sport oil pump replacement

bweisner
06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I purchased this boat over the winter.
I knew it was a project, but it has turned into a little more than I bargined for. When I took the boat out for the first time it started and idled great.
When I got past the no wake zone. I hit the throttle and it started back firing and wouldn't go over 2000 RPM.
I rebuilt the carb and discovered the distributor was an automotive.
When I put the new marine distriburtor in I noticed that the oil pump shaft was not centered. I was able to get the distributor installed but noticed during the timing process it was wabbeling. This tells me the oil pump shaft is bent. I am also concerned that the oil pump may need to be replaced.
Can these parts be replaced without pulling the engine out of the boat?

bdumas35
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
You can pull the oil pump shaft out and check for straightness on a flat surface.

If you had oil pressure before your backfiring episode. it is not likely that you have a bad pump.

There is however, a coupler sleeve on the shaft at the pump end. Some are plastic and some are made onto the shaft. The problem may be the result of removing your old dist. and something happening at the pump end.

Pull the dist. and shaft out and see (down the hole) if the coupler is good.

Look for the easy stuff first. Replacing an oil pump with the motor in the boat would at best suck, if even possible.

Good luck.

bweisner
06-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I tried to pull the shaft out with not luck. I didn't really have anything small enought to get a good grip on the shaft.
I read that there is a clip that holds the shaft in, but I am not positive that is true.

bdumas35
06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes some are pinned at the sleeve. Mine is pinned but to the shaft not the pump.

If you manage to get the shaft loose...don't drop it in the pan!!

rludtke
06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
There is no physical way to remove the oil pan with the motor in the boat, you will have to lift it up. You would not necisarily have to move it out of the boat though. While it would be less messy to completely remove the engine from the boat, getting the motor high enough can be difficult. A rental engine hoist will lift it, but these lifts often can not lift the engine high enough to clear the gunnels. You could drop the pan while the engine hangs over the boat, just be prepared to deal with the mess.

wotan2525
06-30-2011, 01:39 AM
I've hoisted my engine out enough to replace the oil pan and rear main seal. It's not fun. I'd try like hell to get that shaft out, first.

bweisner
06-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys for your repsonses!
I knew I was in for bad news!
My dad has a big shop with an over head hoist so getting the engine out will not be an issue. I wasn't wanting to spend my 4th of July weekend pulling the engine. I wanted to be on the water.

Happy 4th to all!

bweisner
07-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Oil Pump Update
Pulled the engine on Saturday. Only took and hour to get the engine out of the boat. An overhead hoist at my dad's shop was a huge help.
Removed the oil pan, pump and shaft. The shaft was bent right at the base where it goes in the pump. I installed a high volume pump and new shaft. Spent a couple of hours cleaing and painting the oil pan. The epoxy that was on the pain failed and it was majorly rusted. Got ready to put every thing back together and my dad noticed the timing chain was loose, so that put me back a day. Installed the timing chain on Sunday and installed the engine back in the boat. Hooked everything back up and reinstalled the distributor.
Hit the key and she fired right up.
Took the boat out today, and it ran better than ever.
Not sure what top speed should be, but I got it up to 35.
My prop is in need of repair or I need to put a 4 blade prop on the boat.
I will try to upload pics later.