PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new cover - "waterline" fit or not?

pap
06-29-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm going to buy a new cover for my 2009 21V. It came with the snap on, but it has some holes and doesn't cover the whole boat.

I'm planning on buying from www.skiboatcovers.com and getting a sunbrella cover, in black.

He mentioned getting a "waterline" cover that goes down further to help protect the gelcoat from fading. It also covers the swim platform. The normal cover just goes over the rail and doesn't cover the swim platform.

Any advice or thoughts? I would like to be able to trailer with the cover on in case of bad weather, but probably on most occassions will not trailer with cover on (we go about 45 min each way to the lake, at 65 MPH).

Edit: forgot to mention, the boat is stored in my driveway, on the trailer, not at a dock.

rludtke
06-29-2011, 08:48 PM
I have a couple of thoughts...

I like the idea of more coverage, as the sides around the waterline is where my boat oxidizes the most.

- But -

If you ever need to install the cover while the boat is moored on a buoy (when you must do it from inside the boat), getting the cover on would probably get harder. Plus the cover will likely get wet.

If you never expect to actualy cover on the bouy, then go for the bigger cover.

wotan2525
06-30-2011, 01:40 AM
I don't believe that you can trailer with their covers. At least not for my old boat.

I'd FOR SURE get the waterline cover.

pap
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Do you have standard or waterline??

cigars n scotch
06-30-2011, 09:41 PM
i too have the snap cover and it works for the most part but I'd like a waterline, though i need to focus my funds on one project at a time (right now it's tower speakers and amp + second battery). My buddy who has a Malibu VLX has one and it looks great and he trailers with it about an hour each way every weekend. I haven't heard from him having any problems.

Salty87
07-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Edit: forgot to mention, the boat is stored in my driveway, on the trailer, not at a dock.

same here...i'd get the waterline. i compounded mine a couple years ago and she already needs it again. next time i compound, i'm going to rig up a skirt that goes from rubrail to trailer frame. same story with teak swim platform, need to keep it covered.

beast 496
07-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I am really interested in buying a new cover, We are traveling to Detroit Lake MN. this summer for vacation and I want a great road cover. I am looking at the Sunbrella, highly breathable, with hull skirt. How well does the skirt trailer? Al

rtpaxton2
07-11-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm going to buy a new cover for my 2009 21V. It came with the snap on, but it has some holes and doesn't cover the whole boat.

I'm planning on buying from www.skiboatcovers.com and getting a sunbrella cover, in black.

He mentioned getting a "waterline" cover that goes down further to help protect the gelcoat from fading. It also covers the swim platform. The normal cover just goes over the rail and doesn't cover the swim platform.

Any advice or thoughts? I would like to be able to trailer with the cover on in case of bad weather, but probably on most occassions will not trailer with cover on (we go about 45 min each way to the lake, at 65 MPH).

How much are they charging you for a waterline cover? I'm thinking about one for my boat.

pap
07-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I actually forget what the final cost was - the waterline option was I think a couple hundred more. I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and am expecting it hopefully here any day now.

pap
07-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Got my bill today, was $1052 total.

rtpaxton2
07-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Got my bill today, was $1052 total.

When you get it let me know what you think of the quality. Did you add the extra option for the Gore Tenara thread?

pap
07-25-2011, 08:27 PM
I did get the cover. Unfortunately it didn't fit :shock: (the cutouts for the tower were in the wrong place/didn't fit)

I've been in contact with the company and they have assured me they will make it right and have been responsive so far. I took some pictures and measurements and sent them via email today and will report back when I get a resolution.

rtpaxton2
07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I did get the cover. Unfortunately it didn't fit :shock: (the cutouts for the tower were in the wrong place/didn't fit)

I've been in contact with the company and they have assured me they will make it right and have been responsive so far. I took some pictures and measurements and sent them via email today and will report back when I get a resolution.

That's good that they are going to make it right. Let me know how it goes. If they put together an entirely new cover, or if they "fix" the one they already sent you.

R