PDA

View Full Version : drinking on the boat

Aaron187
06-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I am just curious what rules you guys enforce on your boat. No drinking, beer only, allow hard alchol. Does the boat driver drink?

I always allow beer on the boat and I usually drink too. But with the holiday weekend coming up and the radio stated the CO's will be out, I am definettly gonna be the dd. It sucks but I guess that is responsibility. One time they actually had a "road block" exiting the sand bar where they breatherlized every driver, check registration and made sure you had all requirements in the boat. It sucks because I want to have a couple myself but too worried.

chrisk
06-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I go on a case-by-case basis. If I'm with my select few buddies that are ALWAYS out with me, I trust that they know what they're doing so I let them do what they want.
If we're out doing strictly riding or skiing I might just say why don't we wait till we're done, so we avoid any accidents.
If we're doing a mix of riding and hanging out on the water, I'm a little more lenient.
If we're doing just hanging out, game on, who am I to say my friends can't enjoy their time on the water how they want.
Where I live, I only have to worry about conservation police like 2 or 3 days out of the year so on those days (like this weekend) I'll be really careful and probably only have a beer or two.

I just think that we all have people that we trust, people that we want to entertain, and people that we've just downright never met before and don't know what to expect - just do what feels right and keeps you outta jail!

jsandy
06-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Dont let under 21 drink unless shes really hot (i'm 24 so its not creepy) haha. But being one of the few that actualy has gotten a BUI i try and lemit my intake. For the record the BUI was given when i was on a pontoon doing about 12 mph from one line of boats to another. But i try and inforce a dixie cup or atleast a full size coozi to lemit the exposure and avoid incident.

haugy
06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Yep, I drink, passengers drink. If you become a problem you are on the nearest spot of land. I don't drink much, just sip on a couple of beers. I have to normally watch out for all the other idiots too much.

KY Steve
06-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Our lake is dry so its against the law and enforced especially if its obvious there is drinking on board. My wife and I don't drink on the boat for safety reasons when pulling. I don't have a problem if my guests drink as long as its kept discrete from the water patrol who wont think twice about throwing me in jail if they see open containers.

I stopped drinking anyways two years ago to set an example for my preteen kids.

jzelt
06-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm with Huagy. It is legal on the rivers as long as the driver doesn't. So I have a dd in expecting wife...

On lakes it is illegal, but we put it in cups and out of site and never had an issue, even when pulled alongside.

Just don't be stupid with it...How much all depends on where we are and how far of a drive. We tow 2 1/2 hrs sometimes, so then I cut way back on what I will have. (morning only). If staying at the lake, have at it.

One buddy was wasted one day. Made him call his dad to come and get his boat and tow it home. Not worth it.

Keep in mind, as owner, you are responsible for everyone....

pap
06-30-2011, 04:16 PM
No drinking on my boat, but we're a family affair. No disrepect to anyone else but we're out to enjoy ourselves and so long as you're safe and not obnoxious, have fun, but if you're unsafe or crude and disrespectful to others, well prepare to have a problem.

wakejmpr
06-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Strict rule to never drink and ride. If we're out riding then that's the focus. There are to many other tards out that have zero boating experience and when you have a guy in the water I feel you need to be on your A game. But if were out to party in the playpen in chi town or sandbars we rip it hard. Blast the tunes and drink whatever.

michael hunter
06-30-2011, 09:19 PM
My wife and myself dont drink .Because of that most people that go out with us dont drink.I dont have a problem with someone having a beer . The standing rule on my boats is IF YOU WANT TO GET DRUNK STAY HOME.

rdlangston13
06-30-2011, 09:32 PM
we drink on the boat. i am usually the driver so i never have much, maybe 3 or 4 beers all day but everyone else is welcome to have a good time as long as they are coherent enough to follow my instructions. we have only had anyone get drunk once and that was my sister a couple of weeks ago and even she wasnt that bad except she got in a fight with her fiance lol. we also usually have 20 oz coke bottles topped off with rum on the boat. you got to have rum if you are on the boat...

KG's Supra24
06-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Bottoms up bottoms up ... Lol

Rd, brings up a good point, problem with most drunks is they fight. My boat isn't drink free but it is drama free!

I always try to pack just as much gatorade and water as I do beer.

doofus
07-01-2011, 01:21 AM
I guess I go against the norm when compared to a lot of other people as I don't drink any form of alcohol at all. No beer, no wine no spirits etc.

I have never had any alcoholic drinks aboard any boat I have ever owned. It is not a case of me not allowing it onboard, it is just that none of my family, friends or regular crew ever consider bringing any out with them.

Everytime we hit the water for a day out we just fill the eskies on the boat with cans of cool drinks and bottles or water.

Just being in the boat, on the water boarding and chilling with friends and family is plenty enough buzz for us.

Skylar18
07-01-2011, 05:52 AM
I allow alcohol on the boat, but if my kids are on it I will not drink a drop. The whole example thing. My son just turned 16, my daughter is getting there and I think it would be hypocritical to have talked to them about drinking and driving and boating and the dangers of it and then to see me doing it. If I am out with just my friends I have a 2 drink limit.

Did put a power inverter in my boat this year for the sole purpose for using my Margaritaville Margarita machine on the boat. I do believe that appliance might be the greatest invention ever made.

Something about boats, sun, good music, and margaritas make people lose thier minds, all in a good way.

rdlangston13
07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Did put a power inverter in my boat this year for the sole purpose for using my Margaritaville Margarita machine on the boat. I do believe that appliance might be the greatest invention ever made.

Something about boats, sun, good music, and margaritas make people lose thier minds, all in a good way.

my dad has one of those and it makes decent drinks, my g/fs parents have a blender that will make a frozen margarita as smooth as the ones at restaurants, way better than the margarita ville machine. next time i am over there i will get the make/model.

if you can't drink on the boat that easily takes half the enjoyment out of it...

rdlangston13
07-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I allow alcohol on the boat, but if my kids are on it I will not drink a drop. The whole example thing. My son just turned 16, my daughter is getting there and I think it would be hypocritical to have talked to them about drinking and driving and boating and the dangers of it and then to see me doing it.

funny story about this. i have a guy i work with who lives on a small lake in mississippi and he will have a beer in the cup holder of his truck cruising around town, never seen him drunk but thats just the kind of person he is. he has like an 04 maristar and he found some bud light cans in the driver cup holder (he is a miller lite only guy) and his 15 yo daughter is the only other person who ever drives the boat. yeah she got in trouble, BL is NOT alowed on the boat.

Skylar18
07-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Funny Story, when I was 16 my friends and I took out my dads car. I really was the designated driver but one my friends brought a case of Milwaukee's Best. If any of you are old enough to know, it was probably the cheapest worst beer you could get, but like 7 bucks would get you a case.

I bring the car home and my dad is convinced I had been drinking and there had been beer in the car. I told him, no, he smelled my breath, and made me do a sobriety test! Of course I passed but he told me he knew we had been drinking. I said whatever and went to my room.

I hear him in the garage and he is checking the car out bumper to bumper. I all of a sudden I hear him scream, "I got you you SOB!!!" and I hear him race down the stairs to my room. He his holding a empty can of Milwaukee's Best that one of my friends had shoved into the glove compartment like it was one of the 8 wonders of the world.

Lost the use of the car for 2 months....

ditchsnake
07-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Dont let under 21 drink unless shes really hot (i'm 24 so its not creepy) haha. But being one of the few that actualy has gotten a BUI i try and lemit my intake. For the record the BUI was given when i was on a pontoon doing about 12 mph from one line of boats to another. But i try and inforce a dixie cup or atleast a full size coozi to lemit the exposure and avoid incident.

Is it true that the state can revoke your car drivers liscense for getting a BUI

cadunkle
07-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't drink on my boat. It's not a rule though. No one has ever showed up with booze to bring on the boat.

Personally I love beer and have had well over 1000 different kinds of beer. But I won't touch the stuff on my boat because when we go out we ride. If I'm driving and will be within a foot or two of people in the water with a 23' 350 HP propeller spinning machine capable of turning people's insides to outsides, I want to be on my top game at all times.

I've never told anyone alcohol is not allowed, and my one buddy just mentioned today the only thing that could make the day better would be a couple cold beers. I didn't tell him no, but I did say that while I prefer to stay stone cold sober while we're riding, he's welcome to bring beer and drink in moderation. Whether he ever brings beer, I don't know and I don't care. Anyone who is a guest on my boat can enjoy themselves however they want and I think everyone I've ever had on the boat has respected me enough that I've never had a problem and don't expect to, even if alcohol is involved.

I don't really have any rules, except I'm the captain do what I say when I say it. The most I've ever has to exercise that is to tell people where to sit to keep the wake clean, have someone on the lines when I dock, or watch the tow line and basic stuff like that. Never actually had a "problem" to deal with.

The flipside is we usually hit the water early in the morning, at the ramp between 8:00 and 9:00, and usually in by early afternoon when all the weekend warriors come out. Not exactly prime drinking time. After putting the boat away we'll usually go out for a late lunch/early dinner and have a couple beers. It's just what we do, and I'm perfectly happy without alcohol on the boat and imbibing a bit afterwards over a meal and talking about our riding that day and whatever else.

jsandy
07-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Nope. Auto and marine have no affect on each other. but on a side note i completely forgot about paying my reinstatement fee to get my boaters license back and got pulled over about 2 years later and my drivers license had been suspended because i forgot to reinstate my boaters license. Was a huge cluster fuck cause the cops did'nt know why it was revocked and neither did the state troopers office. So since they could'nt find out why it was revoked the gave me my truck back and apologized, well two months later my driver license was expired and had to get new ones and that was when they realized i never had my boaters license renewed. but all was good and it only cost me 40 bucks.

ditchsnake
07-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Not to sound stupid but what is a boaters license? We're not required to have one in Colorado but believe we should be. Any idiot can buy a boat and run it. Even if they have never been on the water before. Thanks for the info. I'm always scared to death to have a drink on my boat. Loose my drivers license and I loose my job.
Nope. Auto and marine have no affect on each other. but on a side note i completely forgot about paying my reinstatement fee to get my boaters license back and got pulled over about 2 years later and my drivers license had been suspended because i forgot to reinstate my boaters license. Was a huge cluster fuck cause the cops did'nt know why it was revocked and neither did the state troopers office. So since they could'nt find out why it was revoked the gave me my truck back and apologized, well two months later my driver license was expired and had to get new ones and that was when they realized i never had my boaters license renewed. but all was good and it only cost me 40 bucks.

cadunkle
07-03-2011, 11:45 AM
We have requires safety courses here and it makes no difference. The amount of asshattery on the water is insane. I've actually found people in states that don't require any safety course, license, or test are better boat drivers and far more courteous.

rdlangston13
07-03-2011, 01:06 PM
We dont have any kind of required license here in Texas if you are over 18 and I like it that way. Although classes are good I do not think it should be required, just another way for the government to regulate and limit freedoms. Now I am all about insurance companies giving discounts to boaters who takes that class, that way it is encouraged but not taking it does not limit you to standing on the beach. I am 23 years old and bought my first boat last year 2008 Mobius LSV and I have never taken a class and I consider myself to be a very safe boater. How ever my dad who is 54 and has been boating off and on for pretty much his entire adult life needs some practice with his new wave runner. A couple of weeks ago we went out together and he crashed into my boat 4 or 5 times in on day... Thank goodness it was all sow speed maneuvering hits.

SupraTamu
07-05-2011, 02:15 PM
I do not drink when I am out on the boat. I do allow others to drink if they choose to. However, I make sure we get the skiing, wakeboarding, surfing and hydrofoiling done before anyone drinks. Too many possibilities of accidents. When we are done with the water activities and anchor is when others start drinking. I do take non-alcoholic beer and that is what I drink. I like the taste of beer and can not tell the difference. Alot of my friends have started drinking it as well. The best non-alcoholic beer I have found is kaliber by Guiness.

dickboxers
07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I allow people to drink what ever they want as long as they put glass bottle liquids in water bottles. I also tell everyone not to let me ctach them sinking their cans. This weekend we found 7 glass bottles and 3 cans where we were anchored up. I just think thats so stupid of people. At our lake the GW will come hit you if your stopped on the water so we make sure if we see them while on the water no one falls. (No tricks) They also check us when you pull your boat out. I found out that as long as you can say your the captin, show them you have everything, not fall down, be nice, and not have beer cans on the floor your just fine. If i do ever feel i might of had a little to much I do a couple runs on the way out. Hit the water a few times and its amazing how sober you can feel.

Ptownkid
07-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I never bother...the consequences are too high here. For the driver, you can lose your actual car license...not sure what the deal is with drinks onboard, but I don't care to find out either.

Kinda sucks...wish it wasn't quite so militant in Ontario

devovino
07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Well this last weekend, finished the "MANDATORY" boaters education class here in Bend, the Deschutes COunty Sheriff's office hosted it. A little informative, I found that mostly I had a good idea of how to handle things underway. I did find out that on the waters, as a driver of a boat here in Orygun- you can have an open container aboard as a driver,be drinking, just dont be over the legal limit. Pretty obvious stuff, dont overdo it, which I would hope would be common sense. Either way I now have my "Boaters Education Card" which is good for life, and am now little more informed of the rules and regs!