PDA

View Full Version : resealing supertrapps and drilling new holes

jmbloecher
06-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I have a question about the supertrapp plate that attaches to the transome of the boat. I need to drill new screw holes. I have filled holes and was going to put the exhaust back on the boat. I was just wondering if I should drill the holes the first or could I seal the plate to the transome first and then drill the new screw holes. Then put the screw in.

Salty87
06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
i think i drilled the holes first but i don't think it really matters. either way, make sure you hit the threads of your screws with sealant before you sink them.

AND, don't tighten everything down on day 1. tighten it down about 75% of the way, then on day 2 snug it up some more. if you tighten it down at first, you run the chance of squeezing all of the sealant out. by waiting until day 2, the sealant will create a better 'gasket' when you tighten the screws.

don't forget to seal where the trapp and exhaust tube meet...about 2" inside the pipe.

jmbloecher
06-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't mess something up.

csuggs
07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
don't forget to seal where the trapp and exhaust tube meet...about 2" inside the pipe.

SUPER important! This is the one area on most older Supra's that originally caused water to get under the floor, into the foam, rotting the wood. That's why I got rid of my Supertrapps, even though I thought they were cool. No maintenance with the flaps, but with the Supertrapps you need to check and/or seal this joint annually with 3m sealant.

jmbloecher
07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Just to make sure I know what everyone is talking about is the joint the part of the plate that goes into the pipe. When I looked into the pipe itself I don't see anything it just looks like a soild pipe. Is the joint the part the bolt is attached to.

Salty87
07-03-2011, 02:17 PM
the joint is the line where the supratrapp and exhaust tube meet. with trapp in place, stick your finger up the pipe about 2" and you'll feel it. this needs to be checked periodically as the sealant will wear out over time. also, make sure you're using sealant rated for below the waterline....i used 3m 4200.

jmbloecher
07-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Thats what I have. Thanks