PDA

View Full Version : Trailor Brakes Vibrating?

devovino
07-02-2011, 10:27 AM
AS I was trailoring the salt yesterday, anytime I would apply the brakes with any kind of significant force, the trailor brakes would vibrate pretty bad, it would do this everytime I came to a stop? WOndering what the problem is, do they need to be bleeded, is there somehow air in the system. They did not seem to do this last summer or at least this bad. ANy help would be great, its a little concerning, dont want their to be prolblems when moving boat place to place, thanks Devon.

DAFF
07-02-2011, 11:41 AM
When was the last time the trailer was towed down the road??? Seems to me the drums have some surface rust on them making them chatter. If you have surge brakes then the braking systems is applying stopping power to the wheels they are just dirty. If it continues then pull of a tire and inspect the drums. Perhaps then it could be a broken spring......

devovino
07-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Hopefully it is that simple, it has not been reeeally towed since June or so, other than around the yard. I hope this is the case, soem build up of rust. I do remember last year however when I towed it, the surge brakes when I stopped to hard, they would drag a little or something, like it was over activating the brakes on the trailor. I know it was the trailor brakes because I did not have the 4 pin connected because I had forgot it. SO there might be an issue with the trailor brakes, maybe they need to be blead......?

DAFF
07-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I think a simple inspection and never sieze the pivot points of the shoes is all that is needed.

Perhaps a wheel cylindar is seeping brake fluid onto the shoe causing chatter too. Its never a bad idea to pull the wheels off and inspect the shoes and wheel bearings and re grease the hubs.

Let us know what you find.