PDA

View Full Version : Lost The Impeller !!!! 230 Deg ++

DAFF
07-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Took the new to me Sunsport out for a run today. Made it about 5min from the dock with a test loop and smelt the burning rubber smell.... Open the engine cover to see it almost totally imersed in water. Holy cow I thought I'm going for a swim !!! With the kids and the dog too. Good thing they were all wearing life vests.

Happened out in the Detroit river in the shipping lane. (40' deep) Then the part I remeber telling myself. Stay calm and don't make the kids worry. Nothing will get them scared of boating more than a bad experience the second time out.

My first though was get to shore as fast as possible. Closed the doghouse and gave her. Looked down and the temp was pegged... Well time to shut the boat down and do some floating. Opened the doghouse and now its up to the floor and everything is soaked. This isn't good, then I noticed the hose from the bottom of the boat to the strainer was just hanging there. That was the ahha moment. Lack of water took out the impeller and driving the boat would scoop up the water and push it into the boat.

Decided to take her EZ and let her cool down. Took about an hour and a half to get back to shore and loaded the boat on the trailer. Got home and hooked up the garden hose started the engine and tuned on the hose to get it back down in temps.

Engine seems good but the exhaust took some heat. The flappers fell off the back of the exhaust and you can see the heat got to the remaining plastic.

Got the impeller appart to replace and noticed all the missing parts. So I found most on the intake side but did the rest get pushed into the engine thus blocking the T stat??

The good news is everything seems good engine wise and the oil isn't burnt... All in all still a fun day out on the boat with the kids. Good thing my wife wasn't there .... It would of been the end of boating for the familly.

Sunsport87
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Scary moment no doubt! I had the same thing haapen whern i was taking a friend and their kids out for the first time. Was a real short trip. Make sure you pulll off all downstream fittings to look for pieces of the impeller. Push a wire through the hose too to make sure a chuck isn't jammed in the hose. I found this out the next time I went out and the engine would get hot after running for a while and cool down quick once I got back to idle. I thought I had everything clear but still had a piece of rubber stuck in the end of the hose. After everthing was clear i didn't have any problems or residual damage to the engine.