PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Transmission Seized - '05 21V - HELP

Pennfrog
07-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Fellow Owners-
I have a 2005 Launch 21V. I was out this weekend towing a hydrofoiler, and my transmission completely seized. I can start the boat, but the moment I put it in gear, it shuts down. Transmission fluid levels (ATF) are good. The boat only has about 150 hours on it, and has been impeccably maintained.

We took the boat to out local marina, and he said the V-drive is completely seized. The initial estimate was that this could be a $7,000 job.

Anyone have experience with this happening? Is this covered under warranty from Supra? Indmar? Given the age of the boat, it is hard to believe that this is a normal wear and tear issue.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Brad

rdlangston13
07-03-2011, 01:08 PM
How can a V-drive cost 7,000 bucks??!?!? It is basically 2/3rds of a transfer case. There must be some INSANE mark up on that thing.

cadunkle
07-03-2011, 02:11 PM
That's just what they cost. Generally around $6000. Also figure in the angles involved. Expensive things. Not many companies make them and they're lower production than truck cases.

Fman
07-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Fellow Owners-
I have a 2005 Launch 21V. I was out this weekend towing a hydrofoiler, and my transmission completely seized. I can start the boat, but the moment I put it in gear, it shuts down. Transmission fluid levels (ATF) are good. The boat only has about 150 hours on it, and has been impeccably maintained.

We took the boat to out local marina, and he said the V-drive is completely seized. The initial estimate was that this could be a $7,000 job.

Anyone have experience with this happening? Is this covered under warranty from Supra? Indmar? Given the age of the boat, it is hard to believe that this is a normal wear and tear issue.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Brad

Wow, that is extremely rare for a V-drive to fail, the Walters are bulletproof. Did you check to see if any oil is in the Vdrive unit? I would think the tranny would toast long before the Vdrive.

Possibly insurance would cover this? $7k is crazy, your deductible would probably be much easier to handle. Good luck to you....

cadunkle
07-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Was there any metal in the oil? I'd be curious why it failed. Regardless, the good news is it should be a real easy swap to replace... Just not a cheap part. I was going to say contact Walter Gear and ask about warranty but from what I can find they typically only offer a 1 year warranty on their drives. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask them about the problem and recommend a rebuild shop that's local. A rebuild might only run you $1000-$1500 depending on what caused the failure.

SuperSaltAir
07-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Walter Gear offers a rebuilding service on the gear drives I think the cost is 600$ or 1200$ plus shipping it took me about 2hrs to pull my v drive out of the malibu so if you have no experience doing it it should take you no more than a weekend its very simple 6 bolts on top 6 bolts on the bottom a few wires and hose clamps your ready to go. It lifts out by hand but its heavy I did all of it by myself and by far it was one of the easier projects.

Tim405
07-11-2011, 12:54 AM
check my earlier posts on my damper plate--it was sudden- catastrophic- and ended the day for us. could be the Marina is
being a bit predatory. I replaced
mine myself- was by no
means simple. but it cost me only 200
bucks plus my time of about 8 hrs- and I've been on the lake for the last 3 days with it.... fixed it!!!
bettin you need a second opinion maybe!?

docdrs
07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
The captains chair, floor and Vdrive was removed and replaced in around 4 hours on my 09 21V. I would call walters and see what your options are