PDA

View Full Version : Any problems to watch for when buying a 2007 24SSV?

rtpaxton2
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey guys!

I am hoping to purchase a 2007 Supra 24SSV. The boat has the Indamr 340 Cat in it. Are there any problem areas with this boat that I should watch out for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

doofus
07-04-2011, 11:34 PM
I have an 07 22ssv with the same engine and it is prone to bad vapour lock issues in very hot weather due to the placement of the fuel pump. I imagine the 24 would also have similar issues...:(

River Hill
07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
You need a second fuel pump. It will fix all issues.

Fman
07-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Besides the fuel pump issue, the Ballast fill and drain system on all '08 and older Supras were a joke. Unless the owner upgraded to Jabsco pumps or re-did the system you are almost guaranteed to have problems with it.

If the ballast is not important to you then it wont be a big deal. The ballast fill system uses sprinkler valves, and one RULE pump to fill all three bags, they are painfully slow, are always having issues, and require valves to be replaced.

Just be aware of this.... in '09 they went to the JABSCO pumps, a much better system.

In '08 they added a second fuel pump to help eliminate vapor lock.

doofus
07-10-2011, 02:57 AM
You need a second fuel pump. It will fix all issues.

Speaking of which, after recently contacting Rick Tinker as head CEO of Skier's Choice and advising him of the vapour lock problem I was experiencing with my Supra, he has offered to provide me with the second fuel pump at no cost despite my boat being outside of the standard warranty period.

I am just waiting for it to be delivered now and then I can get around to having it fitted. Here is hoping it fixes the problem once and for all.

Props to Mr Tinker and Supra for quality customer service and the professional way they looked after my problem. Quality service from a quality boat manufacturer prepared to back their product...All in all, I am one very happy customer.

jaywidhalm
07-10-2011, 10:06 PM
That is awesome they are helping you out for free. It speaks a great deal about Supra and Skiers Choice.

KG's Supra24
07-11-2011, 11:39 AM
fwiw, I have an 06 24 that I've put over 200 hours on and had vapor lock once. I run ethanol free as much as possible, though.

I don't think there is anything specific. Just do a solid look over and test drive.

RT, where are you located?

rtpaxton2
07-11-2011, 08:02 PM
fwiw, I have an 06 24 that I've put over 200 hours on and had vapor lock once. I run ethanol free as much as possible, though.

I don't think there is anything specific. Just do a solid look over and test drive.

RT, where are you located?

I am in College Station, Texas. I ride mostly on Lake Bryan, and will be in a 2007 Supra 24 SSV.

What about you?

iwakeboard
07-12-2011, 07:27 AM
I have an '05 Supra 24 SSV and have never had a vapor lock issue. I also don't have any problems with the sprinkler valve ballast system, although I do wish it was a bit faster, it always works well.

KY Steve
07-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I've vapor locked a few times, now if I stop for 10min or more I open the engine hatch and that seems to really help.

I replaced the stock ballast system with Tsunami pumps and put 750's in the rear plus an extra 250 on the surf side.

Only advice I have is be aware of the size of the boat, its a beast especially if your used to a 21 or 22. Handling is a little slower and its heavier, but the 340 will help with performance.

Overall I love mine, the seating arrangement is awesome........but I do have my eye on a couple different 22's

KG's Supra24
07-12-2011, 09:33 AM
I also haven't had any issues with the sprinkler valves (knock on wood) but they are slow.

Rt, I'm in Arkansas. I was just curious as to the market you were looking it. So it sounds like you ended up buying it? Let see some pics!!

rtpaxton2
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I've vapor locked a few times, now if I stop for 10min or more I open the engine hatch and that seems to really help.

I replaced the stock ballast system with Tsunami pumps and put 750's in the rear plus an extra 250 on the surf side.

Only advice I have is be aware of the size of the boat, its a beast especially if your used to a 21 or 22. Handling is a little slower and its heavier, but the 340 will help with performance.

Overall I love mine, the seating arrangement is awesome........but I do have my eye on a couple different 22's

Hey KY Steve,

How did you add the 250 to the Surfside? Do you just fill it up ontop of the 750? I would be interested in some pics. What other boats are you looking at?

rtpaxton2
07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I also haven't had any issues with the sprinkler valves (knock on wood) but they are slow.

Rt, I'm in Arkansas. I was just curious as to the market you were looking it. So it sounds like you ended up buying it? Let see some pics!!

Yes sir!

I am buying this baby. The seller was generous enough to let me take her home before all of the paper work was done. She is sitting in the driveway now, and so far I am very happy with it. Just looking at where I should start "upgrading" first. ;) I will try to post some pics soon.

rtpaxton2
07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes sir!

I am buying this baby. The seller was generous enough to let me take her home before all of the paper work was done. She is sitting in the driveway now, and so far I am very happy with it. Just looking at where I should start "upgrading" first. ;) I will try to post some pics soon.

Ok,

Here are a few pics... most of which were taken by her previous owner:

Monroeyd
07-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Saweet! Congrats on the purchase. We have an '06 and have put about 200 hours on it since Feb '10. No real issues here. We did change out the ballast pumps and have to keep an eye on the bolts that hold the prop shaft as they want to loosen with use. We haven't had any vapor lock issues, but we have the 8.1 liter motor. Overall a great boat. You're gonna love it.

KG's Supra24
07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Nice boat!

Did you get it from Maryland?

KY Steve
07-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey KY Steve,

How did you add the 250 to the Surfside? Do you just fill it up ontop of the 750? I would be interested in some pics. What other boats are you looking at?

Right now I'm filling it manually on top of the 750. Trying to design a way to plumb it with the other sac, getting it emptied has been the challenge.

RZ2 and a VLX but I still like the seating arrangement better in my 24, thats whats keeping me from pulling the trigger.

KY Steve
07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Ok,

Here are a few pics... most of which were taken by her previous owner:

Very nice, Congrats!

jonyb
07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Right now I'm filling it manually on top of the 750. Trying to design a way to plumb it with the other sac, getting it emptied has been the challenge.

Check into the fly-high 3-way manifold.... I've installed a couple so that the pumps could be selected which bag to fill or empty.

Bkrobz
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
I have the bags sitting on top of each other in the surf side with plumbing. If it's just myself and 2 others I'll fill another bag manually with tsunami pump and put it halfway on the rear seat and swim deck, then the 2nd person in the boat sits on the swim deck.

I have a 07 22ssv so not sure how that would be with the 24 but it puts out a little above waist high wave with that setup.

I'll post some pics of the bag setup and plumbing later. Wasn't too hard to do and it works well. Just takes a long time to empty when we're headed back from surfing.

rtpaxton2
07-20-2011, 03:00 AM

RZ2 and a VLX but I still like the seating arrangement better in my 24, thats whats keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I cant say much about the VLX, but the RZ2 is a very nice boat!! My previous boat was a Tige, and they make a good, strong boat. They go the extra mile and you will find a LOT of fiberglass in their boats. I was a little dissapointed with the Supra to find a lot of wood under the seats, and the sprinkler valve setup. I plan to ride this boat for a while, but suspect I will go back to a Tige... sorry Supra :) I guess the seating is personal preferance, but I like the wrap around hot tub seating more than the seat behind the drivers seat jutting out into the "walk area"

KY Steve
07-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I cant say much about the VLX, but the RZ2 is a very nice boat!! My previous boat was a Tige, and they make a good, strong boat. They go the extra mile and you will find a LOT of fiberglass in their boats. I was a little dissapointed with the Supra to find a lot of wood under the seats, and the sprinkler valve setup."

I curious about all the wood under your seats? Everything under mine is synthetic, I believe PVC or uhmw type boards.

Dont get me wrong I love my Supra but also very impressed with how solid the Tige rides and feels. Unfortunately for me there is not one boat that I like everything about.

rtpaxton2
07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I curious about all the wood under your seats? Everything under mine is synthetic, I believe PVC or uhmw type boards.

Dont get me wrong I love my Supra but also very impressed with how solid the Tige rides and feels. Unfortunately for me there is not one boat that I like everything about.

I have not pulled the carpet back to look. I am basing this off seeing a piece of 2X4 that was covered in glue near the front observer's seat. You had to be climbing into the forward storage compartment to see it. Maybe that was something the dealer did to fix something, not sure.

I agree with you on the Tiges and boat choices. My biggest complaint with Tige, that they seem to be coming around on now, is that the manufacturer was so sold on their hull shape and wake plate that they would not put ballast in the boats. If you look at their earier boats (2000ish), you will have trouble finding them with factory installed ballast. Even now I don't think that it is "standard" on any of their boats, you have to order it as an option. And in my opinion, when you are paying $70K for a boat, it better come with every option, the kitchen sink, and a wet bar with mini fridge!

blaze5012
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I am in College Station, Texas. I ride mostly on Lake Bryan, and will be in a 2007 Supra 24 SSV.

What about you?

My family has a 2006 24 SSV and I have taken it to lake Bryan a few times, not sure if you have already been or not but make sure you are careful when backing it down that ramp, so you dont back off of it. When I put mine in, I put it all the way to where the trailer wheels are at the edge of the ramp in order to get the boat on the trailer right.

Im sure you already know this but my first time there i ended up about 2 inches from backing off the end of the ramp.

rtpaxton2
07-22-2011, 09:17 PM
My family has a 2006 24 SSV and I have taken it to lake Bryan a few times, not sure if you have already been or not but make sure you are careful when backing it down that ramp, so you dont back off of it. When I put mine in, I put it all the way to where the trailer wheels are at the edge of the ramp in order to get the boat on the trailer right.

Im sure you already know this but my first time there i ended up about 2 inches from backing off the end of the ramp.

I'm not sure how long ago you were out and had that problem. I know they have added some more concrete to the ramp because people were backing off of it and having to get wreckers out there to pull them out. I will say that Lake Bryan has the WORST ramp I have ever used! I would like to get some people together to petition the city to move the ramp closer to the entrance where it is not so blasted steep. Maybe try to get them to move it down to where the PWC are launching near the front dam.

rtpaxton2
07-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Blaze,

Check your mailbox, I sent you a private message.

blaze5012
07-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Agreed, it is a pretty terrible ramp but I dont have high hope of ever really getting that changed.