PDA

View Full Version : catastrophic failure???

Tim405
07-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Well - I went against my own rule and went to the lake on 4th of July ( otherwise known as one of 3 "Amateur days".)
While cruising about 23MPH - and after 25 min of this - BOOM - sounded like someone dropped loose change in the engine compartment - and no FWD - No Reverse... had a few clunks last weekend - but no light went on - nuthin...
this time - I'm scared - either a busted shaft coupler ( easy one) or V drive...
I'll tear into it tomorrow nite as we just got it back home a few min ago... I have a trip on Friday - Maybe... depends on the fix...
Drop the advice - Thanks in advance...and if you can't help with advice - please send money!
05' 22SSV Indmar Assault...

csuggs
07-05-2011, 08:24 AM
If there is no visual damage in the engine compartment, I would bet it's your damper plate. This happened to me last year. First some rattling, then total failure. The damper plate is attached to the flywheel and has a drive hub that engages the input shaft of your tranny. That is, unless yours is built different than mine. Fairly easy fix, but you better diagnose and get parts ordered if you want to be out Friday.

Okie Boarder
07-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I think that might be the first likely culprit, as well. Makes sense. I'd get in there and make sure you didn't bust the coupling and go from there.

Tim405
07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
anyone know which one I need ( 05' Launch 22SSV v drive - 325 Assault)
been lookin on skidim.com and there's a couple listed for the sm block chebbie motor...- but the R and D dampners seem like maybe a better choice as far as long term... I'm a long term sorta guy... but I haven't a clue when it comes to giving that company my drive/spline count etc...
help a brotha out!

Okie Boarder
07-05-2011, 04:46 PM
I'd call DIM if I was you. They are very knowledgable. Either that or call SC directly.

Tim405
07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
DIM Was soooo busy - they only had time to answer me by email - I called.
I also emailed the guys at skierschoice -I guess more folks other than myself broke boats this last week. I'm kinda under the gun and there's no way they could have met this impossible schedule... I called Todd Wilson @ Wilson's Watersports @ I-35 and Waterloo Road- He called Indmar and had one UPS RED shipped in - hopefully it'll get here tomorrow. ( Great guy and didn't pull my pants down on the price) He gets my vote for local brick and mortar type parts and service - plus I got to look at those brand new GINORMOUS Malibu Wakesetters he has in his showroom - Like School buses with the tops removed -BBBBIG BBBOATS!