PDA

View Full Version : Teak? Naked, oiled, stained, glitter paint?

haugy
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I've got teak in 3 spots on my boat. The side gunwales have two long strips, the rear engine hatch, and the bow hatch.

I cleaned the old grime and gunk off the teak and they are back to a very light wood color.

Now I look at them, and they really don't flow with the boat. I don't want to paint them honestly. If I ever choose to go back to original I can't after painting them.

Should I teak oil them? Maybe stain them a very dark color? Ideas?

rludtke
07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Paint can always be stripped, but don't paint it. Your teak just needs to be re-finished. I use this Sikkens product on my swim step and teak trim details:http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6756&familyName=Sikkens+Cetol+Marine+Natural+Teak

This is a high gloss topcoat: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6755&familyName=Sikkens+Cetol+Marine+Gloss
Check out the video on this page for an example of the finished teak color.

Lightly sand or scotchbrite the wood and brush on several coats, allowing it to dry in between. The result will be a slightly reddish tone, with some gloss and depth. I think the results will really complement your interior, and look great.

This finish will probably only need to be re-done every several seasons. If you don't wait too long, all that will be required is a light scothbrite of the existing finish, and re-apply.

Salty87
07-05-2011, 03:47 PM
every time i look at a different boat i see something i've never seen before....your teak steps, i've only seen them like that on sunsports. of the saltares i've been on, they've all had small steps about 18" wide. i like the longer steps more.

i vote for oil too. i like some teak on the boat.

sybrmike
07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I decided to keep mine natural oiled teak. I don't have the long teak steps along the gunwales (dang PO replaced them with rotten carpet covered flat panels), but do have additional teak trim around the storage on either side of the ice chest and my platform's teak. Granted, the teak doesn't quite go with the black/gray/white motif I'm shootin' for with the updates - but I love the look of teak & consider it as tribute to her heritage. My bow locker cover is completely shot, but gonna replace with a black starboard cover & add the teak accent trim pieces from original cover just to keep the subtle teak hints running from bow to stern. My vote is to embrace your heritage - keep the teak.

However, I do understand the draw for going with a completely updated look since you've got a glass platform & plastic side storage trim. I'd hate to see the remaining teak ruined, but it could be coated black to match (Matt?? did that on his a while back). Or, spend some time fabbing parts out of painted/rhino'd wood or black plastic to replace the few teak pieces you have & save the originals for nostalgia in case you ever wanna go retro.

Speaking of hints, do I see glimpses of tower feet???

haugy
07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah I love true teak oiled color, just wasn't sure if anything new has come out, or changed.

I think if I do a couple of coats of the teak oil that should give me a dark but rich color that won't stand out as much as it will accent the color scheme.

Thanks for the links rludtke. I just cleaned them up last week with a scrub brush and water, so they should be okay to be teaked. I think.

Ptownkid
07-05-2011, 04:22 PM
If you paint it, I'm buying a plane ticket to come down and kick you square in the junk...

People who paint beautiful wood should be taken out back and shot, multiple times.

Clean and oil...period.

rludtke
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the links rludtke. I just cleaned them up last week with a scrub brush and water, so they should be okay to be teaked. I think.

Yes, I agree. Your wood looks ready to finish. I have not tried the high gloss top coat before. If you try it, let us know how it turns out...

Okie Boarder
07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Definitely oil. We bought the two stage kit (name is slipping my mind right now...Starbrite maybe?) with the cleaner and oil. Did the cleaner when we first got the boat and have just oiled good since then.

Ptownkid
07-05-2011, 04:58 PM
every time i look at a different boat i see something i've never seen before....your teak steps, i've only seen them like that on sunsports. of the saltares i've been on, they've all had small steps about 18" wide. i like the longer steps more.

i vote for oil too. i like some teak on the boat.

My 92 has the same step.

Memmer99
07-05-2011, 05:46 PM
My vote would be KEEP THE TEAK!

chrisk
07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Has anybody out there done a teak oil, stain, whatever that turns the teak almost a dark gray, or gives it a blackish tint? I think it would look real cool on the boats that have black trim pieces, towers, paint jobs, etc. but I'm scared to screw with the classic teak look.

Ptownkid
07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
and so you should be...don't mess with the teaks natural glory!!!

haugy
07-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Well it comes down now to Sikkens traditional teak, or high gloss?

I'm thinking the high gloss would really make it pop. It's very rare that people actually use that step (I had them in the Mariah).

rludtke
07-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Well it comes down now to Sikkens traditional teak, or high gloss?

I'm thinking the high gloss would really make it pop. It's very rare that people actually use that step (I had them in the Mariah).

I agree.

The high gloss is step two, it's added on top of the Sikkens base finish. I've used the Sikkens natural finish, but didn't know about the high gloss until I grabbed the links today. I am very intrigued by the high gloss, I think it would look cool. I'll have to try it next time.