PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu Wakeboard Lessons

chrisk
07-05-2011, 05:47 PM
So in the last two weeks I've taught 7 people how to wakeboard! For no particular reason, completely unplanned, people just kept coming with some of my friends that have never wakeboarded so I've just had a bunch of opportunities to do some coaching. It's really really cool to finally talk someone into trying it, and then know that they leave in a great mood because they ended up getting up and riding. I love spreading the fun of the sport.

I just wanted to start a small thread on things that people do to coach more efficiently, for me, it's really hard to talk about things that are so basic that I don't think about them anymore. It's truly hard explaining how to get up to someone that has never even seen watersports in person.

The first thing I tell people, is when they're sitting in the water to envision themselves sitting on the ground, with their knees slightly bent and their arms relaxed around their legs. Then to envision someone giving them a hand to pick them up off the ground. I really think that motion is pretty accurate to what it's like getting out of the water, and it seems to be working. Two out of the seven people I taught, got up on their 1st try, and none of the others took more than 10 tries.

Any other tips to ease the coaching process?

wotan2525
07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
I always have people put their heels as close to their butt as possible and then point their toes at the boat.

The other thing to recommend is to tell people that they should not worry about standing up... or turning the board sideways. It will happen naturally. It seems like a lot of beginners are focused on what they think is the important part (but which we know is the easy part.)

chrisk
07-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah people freak out when they get on their feet and immediately start flying outside the wake because they're not used to straightening out the board. I usually just tell people to just ride it out, no problem with going outside the wake immediately. When they're ready to stop doing that, I say to remember to stand tall and point your lead hip towards the boat, seems to work great.

Also, along these lines, I just got the Krypt 4200 EQ installed on my vessel and it is an EXCELLENT teaching tool. Makes it so easy to communicate with the rider, especially when you have a boat-full of other people who just don't care and are always loud when you're trying to teach somebody something.

Okie Boarder
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
One method a friend uses for newbies that we're still looking to try...

Use a surf rope for the first few times until they can get up and turn the board. Gives a more upward pull, you're closer for instruction purposes, and the time it takes to pick them up and try again is shortened.

chrisk
07-11-2011, 12:53 PM
That makes sense.. I would just be worried about people freaking out being so close to the boat, I know a few of the people I just taught are what I would refer to as "skittish."

moombamania
07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I've always coached once up in squat or half stance to only hold with lead hand let go of rope with other.... this forces board to straighten out and turns rider.

chrisk
07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah that's not a bad hint for people struggling with it, I'd still rather see them hold on with both and focus on rotating those hips to begin with. If they can't get it, however, letting go with one hand and slowly working towards two, keeping their hips in place would be good.

Okie Boarder
07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
That makes sense.. I would just be worried about people freaking out being so close to the boat, I know a few of the people I just taught are what I would refer to as "skittish."

If they're new they're only going to learn what you teach them. If you have someone experienced show them what to do with the surf rope, it might help. You can also spend a little time helping them understand how safe an inboard is when you are close to the rear of the boat.

chrisk
07-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Okay so my next topic I want to talk about, how does everyone get new people to try wakeboarding? Hate to dis females but, especially females... the common excuses are too many people watching or maybe some other time. I do a pretty good job of prodding people quite a bit to give it a try and reassure them that I'm very good at coaching beginners, and I kind of figure that people will want to try once they see how much fun it is... but it's still hard work sometimes.

Any suggestions?

wiatowski
05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
I wanted to add that when I take people out after explaining to them how to get up, I make them get in the water (around 10-20' away) and grab the line and give it a pull. that way they can experience what I'm talking about before the boat pulls them. I find when I do it this way I can see the mistakes they're going to make before I start the boat and have to circle to pick them up. I do it until I see they know/get the feeling and know to let the boat pull them. Longest anyones taken to get up?! 3 pulls.

KG's Supra24
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Chris, do you find yourself more successful getting people to try on the front end, opposed to after everyone else rides. I think the issue I commonly have is someone new doesn't really want to try after seeing others that are more fluent go.

86 century
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I have found it helps to have some one in the water with them.

Get a buddy with a jet ski to pick the person up or drag them up to the rider when they fall.

Also for the young ones fear of just being in the water that far from the boat can be a big deal.

jet
05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Thats true because I hate going after KG.