PDA

View Full Version : 21V - Front part of boat doesn't touch the trailer bunk

pap
07-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I note that when I winch my 2009 21V up onto the trailer (stock boatmate trailer) it rubs rather hard on the front wheel. I also note that the whole front bunk (the narrowest ones) are not touching the boat at all. The boat is winched all the way up to the bow ring or else it tends to rock up in the air off the front.

To my eye, this is not normal and all of the bunks should be touching the boat. Is this a bad trailer design, or is this normal? Should I do something to make the bunks ride higher so they will support part of the boat.

I'm afraid I'm going to damage the bow of the boat putting so much pressure right on the one spot.

If anyone else has a 21V similarly- can you check your boat on trailer and see if you have the same problem. I can see about an inch or so of space, enough to get my finger inbetween the boat and the bunk.

Diggs
07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Do you have a pic?

rludtke
07-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Could you shim the bunk to support the boat?

pap
07-15-2011, 04:49 PM
You can see an inch, more or less of space the whole way forward.

I'm just nervous about doing anything to the trailer, and I'd have to do it at the lake since the boat is on the trailer at home.

I just can't believe this is right.

http://prior.smugmug.com/photos/i-KNGDw54/0/L/i-KNGDw54-L.jpg

http://prior.smugmug.com/photos/i-SLz7wJ6/0/L/i-SLz7wJ6-L.jpg

rludtke
07-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Because there is a lot of curvature in the hull shape, it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't rest well on the fwd bunks. That portion of the bunk is there to support the bow as the boat moves on or off the trailer.

dusty2221
07-15-2011, 05:32 PM
My 24 sits the exact same way.

pap
07-15-2011, 05:37 PM
The problem as I see it is as the boat is pulled up the trailer, it ends up sitting pretty hard on the roller in the front - when I go to back it off it wants to "drop" off the roller as it rolls down to the bow. It also "grinds" pretty hard when it's being winched up on the roller. It's my first boat, so maybe all this is normal, since you guys see the same thing. The ramp I typically go to is very gentle slope, I have to back way in deep past the wheel covers to get the boat to float.

jaywidhalm
07-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't think that it sitting that way on the trailer will hurt anything, as others have said, theirs are the same.

When loading or unloading, rather than going by wheel well depth in the water, I also go by the tip of my front bunks. As soon as they are flush or barely under the water I stop. With different ramp steepness, the wheel well thing is just too inconsistent.

jonyb
07-16-2011, 09:51 AM
The bowstop is too high. Common problem with Boatmate trailers. They'll work with you on making it right though, they helped me out.

pap
07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Here's a pic of what is happening to the front of the boat - it's scratching the fiberglass.

I see no way short of major welding that the bowstop can be changed, but the bunks could be raised in the front to take weight off of the roller. I know others said their looks the same - do you get the scratching on the bow of the boat? Maybe I'm not putting in far enough?

http://prior.smugmug.com/photos/i-WsZBdct/0/XL/i-WsZBdct-XL.jpg

Diggs
07-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I have a 2011 and just checked it and mine sits on the bunks. Same hull as your 2009.

jonyb
07-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Here's a pic of what is happening to the front of the boat - it's scratching the fiberglass.

I see no way short of major welding that the bowstop can be changed, but the bunks could be raised in the front to take weight off of the roller. I know others said their looks the same - do you get the scratching on the bow of the boat? Maybe I'm not putting in far enough?

http://prior.smugmug.com/photos/i-WsZBdct/0/XL/i-WsZBdct-XL.jpg

If you're bow is lifting off the bunks, the bowstop is to blame. Since my trailer was rebuilt loading, unloading, and the fit to the trailer is perfect.

rludtke
07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
If you're bow is lifting off the bunks, the bowstop is to blame. Since my trailer was rebuilt loading, unloading, and the fit to the trailer is perfect.

This makes sense. There have been a lot of posts on this BB about the Boatmate trailer's front guide stop. It sounds like it should be lowered to better fit the boat. This would be an easy project for a local welding shop.

haugy
07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Cutting and moving that bow eye down is alot easier than you think.

Leave the boat on so you have it for measurement, and make sure when welding to use welding blankets to protect it.

I had to do the same thing on my Mariah, and it fits perfect now. And it was about a 1 hour job.

pap
07-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I don't want to seem rude, but given this trailer came from the factory with the boat, isn't it kinda crappy that I would have to be searching out a local shop to patch the unit? Does that make it weaker? The front strap is what holds the whole boat on the trailer and it makes me VERY nervous to think about cutting and welding that, especially with some of the "talent" we have in my small town.

edit: is this something that "any" welding shop should be able to do well? I know nothing about welding except I sometimes see cheap chinese products with crappy welds that look scary or stuff done by farmer joe down the road that looks equally as scary. Strength my #1 concern, but looking OEM and not ghetto a close second, especially if I ever want to sell.

And is my trailer just bad or is this a design issue that all 21Vs on this boatmate trailer have?

jonyb
07-18-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't want to seem rude, but given this trailer came from the factory with the boat, isn't it kinda crappy that I would have to be searching out a local shop to patch the unit? Does that make it weaker? The front strap is what holds the whole boat on the trailer and it makes me VERY nervous to think about cutting and welding that, especially with some of the "talent" we have in my small town.

edit: is this something that "any" welding shop should be able to do well? I know nothing about welding except I sometimes see cheap chinese products with crappy welds that look scary or stuff done by farmer joe down the road that looks equally as scary. Strength my #1 concern, but looking OEM and not ghetto a close second, especially if I ever want to sell.

And is my trailer just bad or is this a design issue that all 21Vs on this boatmate trailer have?

Call Boatmate and talk to Customer Service. They're located in Maryville, TN, next door to Skier's Choice. I delivered my boat/trailer to them and had it repaired. That was a 6 hour trip, but it was well worth it. On the other hand, yes, any welding shop can do it, but make sure it's not some hackjob.

BigCity444
07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
On mine, granted it's 19 years old this year the entire section that the winch and the bow stop is bolted to the trailer frame with U bolts. Some where through the years the moved backwards and we had the same issue. I released tension and moved the assemble forward and inch and half and problem solved.

If anybody does this, be careful how much tongue weight you have.