PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Replacement (2005 & Later)

rkmfl
07-11-2011, 09:31 AM
I read in the Indmar manual that the 2005 & later Skier's Choice boats are using a different impeller (as opposed to the standard Johnson 812 impeller that I believe all prior Indmar engines required).

In my case I have the Launch 21v and I am planning on switching this out. In addition to the specific impeller, I'm curious about a couple other items..

1. Unlike a direct-drive, these V-Drives seem to be a bear to gain access to the impeller. Is the recommended method to remove the water pump altogether, and change the impeller away from the engine?

2. Has anyone used those new "Run Dry" impellers? I've seen them advertised for a few years now, for example: http://www.globecomposite.com/files/BW_impeller_article.pdf but am not sure whether they'd be worth the money because I'm just not sure if it's possible to do what they claim based on impellers I've witnessed that have run dry!

Thank you in advance!
RKM

Sluggo
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
RKM,

In my 05 22 SSV I find it much easier to disconnect the hoses, the stabilizer bar, and then the three mounting bolts and remove the pump to change the impeller. There are others that seem to have slightly different opinions, but I am convinced their setup is different than mine as my muffler or exhaust sits right over this area and there really is no good way to see or access the front of the pump. Getting to the sides to take off the hoses and mounting bolts is not too bad, so that is why I choose that route. If you can figure out a good way to access the front and pull the impeller out, you could save yourself the time and effort or removing the whole pump, but in my case that is only about 10-15 mins now that I have done it a few times.

rkmfl
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Sluggo,
That's really great information, thank you. I felt the same way, I've heard about peopel changing it without removing the pump, and I just can't figure out how they fit their hands in that space with everything else going through that area!

Do you know which impeller to use, is it the old Johnson 812 (812B) that we've been using for our 350's up until now, or has it changed?

Thanks again!
RKM

LloydP
07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I change mine while the pump is on the engine. Much swearing and tearing up of knuckles is involved. I remove the black plastic piece that goes across the transom so I can get around the muffler. It is still kind of a blind job. I do it annually, and have gotten better over time. Still hate doing it though.

BTW - I use the Johnson 812 impeller, and I am relatively certain it is the correct one.

Sluggo
07-11-2011, 02:59 PM
That is correct and here is the SKIDIM part number and link. Apparently they have gone up in the last few years. As you can see I paid $30 for one two years ago.

RP061018 IMPELLER INDMAR Ford/GM 350, 351, 454, 1.00 $29.99
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

beast 496
07-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I have switch and began using the Globe Impellors on everything which these are available for. They cost a little bit more but last twice to three times longer. Especially in boat which are a Pain in the a$$ to change the impellors. Al

texas_21V
07-19-2011, 04:54 PM
I pull my pump off as well. It doesn't take long and it makes the entire job so much easier.