PDA

View Full Version : trailer fit/modification questions

VTwake
07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Our 1990 Supra Sunsport came with a 2004 Boatmate Supra trailer, but it is obviously not the exact trailer for our boat. It sits on it pretty well, however the boat buddy is not high enough to function correctly, and the winch post is too far forward (the boat sits best 1 ft away from the boat buddy, its a bigger trailer than what our boat needs). I know on my family's boat, an 05 Malibu, the trailer winch post is movable forwards and backwards, with u bolt mounts, and the height can be adjusted as well via u bolts on the post. So, I was wondering if it is possible to take a hack saw to the current post (that is welded on), and replace it with a u bolt post that would fit correctly? Would I be affecting the structural integrity of the trailer? Im guessing no, but I wanted to check before I wrecked the trailer. Also, does anyone know where to buy a u-bolt trailer post and about how much they cost?

Thanks

dshaff24
07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Here is what I would do.. I would take a grinder with a cutting wheel and cut the post off then gring the welds smooth! Then Id Re weld the post you just cut off to wear it fits the boat! If you do not have the know how I would look for a local fab shop or maybe try google your area for some kind of welding/fab company!

VTwake
07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the response, I considered that, unfortunately the post is not high enough even if the boat buddy was moved up the post somehow to meet the eye of our boat. It is a relatively short post. Therefore, I need a new/taller post no matter what I do.