PDA

View Full Version : stereo questions

ess3489
07-12-2011, 11:29 AM
putting a set of fusion tower speakers up i think each speaker is 200 rms, my question is what type of amp should i get? i have found a couple that will push 175 at 2 ohm bridged but my worry is that at 2 ohms using more power the amp will over heat and cut on and off. will an amp that runs at 4 ohm 175 watt rms be better? if so any suggestions?

also if the speaker is 200rms can i run 200 rms to them or do I try to keep it under 200?

found a sony xplod that pushes 185 at 4 ohm but ive always heard sony over raters there watt rms so i dont know if that a good amp

WakeSurfCanada
07-13-2011, 12:14 PM
the ohm rating you will run at will be determined by the impedance of the actual speakers and not the amp you are choosing, but as you have stated a 4 ohm load is much friendlier on most amps.

hope this helps

rtpaxton2
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I have always been told to pick an amp that has MORE rms capability than the speakers. This supposedly helps keep the amps from over heating because you are not running them as hard. I would go talk to a professional installer (not best buy or some big store, but a place that specializes in stereo installs). They will give you more information than what you want on what to buy, and how to set it up!

When you start adding amps, I do know that you MUST ground all of the stereo equipment to the same battery. My setup is from the factory, and when I listen to the radio I get engine noise. I need to check all of my grounds. IF you end up with this problem, and can't get the engine noise out, you can purchase electronic filters (they run about $20). Put these between the head outputs and the amp inputs, and ground them to the same battery as the stereo equipment. I had to do this on my last Alpine install and it worked great!