PDA

View Full Version : Advice on motor swap

WakeNBake
04-28-2005, 03:30 AM
I have a general question about swapping in a different motor, though there is nothing wrong with the one that is currently in the boat. I currently have a 1999 Supra Launch with a 5.7 Vortec. I also have a 383 SBC short block that is mildly built and was wondering if it would work in the boat. It already has brass freeze plugs and all the high performance goodies to include a cam, my main concern would be cooling though, if anyone has any advice on whether it would work or please let me know, thanx.

tygger6069
04-28-2005, 10:50 PM
WakeNBake,

I just completed doing what you are talking about. I have a 2000 Moomba Kamberra that originally had the 5.7 Vortec carb motor in it. Everything seems to work fine-no overheating problems at this time. Hole shot is greatly improved and the top end picked up about 400 rpm. Good luck with your upgrade!

WakeNBake
05-09-2005, 11:54 PM
tygger6069,
--Just a couple of questions, did you install it or did you have someone install it? What kind of transmission do you have and do you think mine will be fine? Should I change to a different prop or will a 4 blade be fine? I'm thinkin about swappin in the motor before this fall. Any info would be great, thanks.

tygger6069
05-14-2005, 12:44 PM
WakeNBake,

Yes, I did do the install myself. I have the ability to turn the wrenches in the garage and a very understanding wife. The transmission is the HSW 450 D-1.00. With your Launch it should be even easier to pull the motor than in my V-Drive Kamberra. The cooling seems to be just fine. I now have about 5 hours on the new motor with no problems. The only possible problems that I could forsee, is if you are fuel injected you may need to recalibrate the ECM. Otherwise it is a failly easy swap. I hope that this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to Pm me or get me through the
BB. I am also using a 4 blade 14x18 nibral prop. Good luck with you swap.

Tigger