PDA

View Full Version : How to weight my 09 22V Launch

SupraLaunch22_2009
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
We purchased a 2009 22V Launch earlier this year and have been having a blast surfing. Our surf wave is pretty decent by simply filling the port side rear ballast. However, after looking at many of these post I believe I could do even more to create a bigger/better wave. At this point, I'm really not looking to add any additional ballast bags. We are currently surfing between 9.8 or 10.4. mph. Here is an image showing the surf wave. This was a beginner hence the tight rope. If you guys can give me some tips it would be much appreciated.
JJ

Redstripe
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
My buddy got a 09 this spring --- Your sitting on a GOLD MINE when it comes to surfing!!! His makes a Monster wave.... He replaced the stock sac in back with a jumbo 1,100...

He fills that and the front sac up and runs 11.4 on PP with wake plate down a hair to lengthen the pocket...

Copy that and BYE-BYE rope:cool:

I also noticed that your beginer was standing Goofy on the board -- most of the time goofy stance is easier to learn/ride on the opposite side because you can keep your balence easier if you have your toeside edge into the wake. ( you probably already knew that but just in case)

KG's Supra24
07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
1,100 lbs sac is def a big helper. Extra weight is really the key to making a great surf wave.

Without buying a pump (to fill your other sac on top of the one you have) or buying larger sacks, you will need to use the wakeplate to create your wave. Further to the left will make the wave taller, further to the right will make the wave longer. Move all your people to the surfside as well.

As a driver, you can also influence the wave. Keep the boat tilted (not turning) to the surf side. It's kind of hard to describe but when you feel it you will know what i mean. Keep the boat listed to surf side, once again not turning. I can turn right and keep my boat listed to the left.

SupraLaunch22_2009
07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm seriously considering replacing the stock rear sac with the 1,100 lbs jumbo. Also, when you mention the front sac do you mean the sac in the middle locker area? One other question. Would you recommend putting any weight on the non-surf side?

You guys are awesome! I appreciate the tips.

KG's Supra24
07-12-2011, 04:18 PM
The setup I run every weekend is ...

Surfside: 1,100
Non surfside: approx 200-300
Bow: 1180

Do you have the playpen bow or walk-thru bow?

SupraLaunch22_2009
07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
I have the playpen bow.

KG's Supra24
07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
With your stock bags in the rear, you can fill the front (to give you length in the pocket) and then work your wakeplate to the left to bury the back end of the boat some more.

Also note, I often have to move my wakeplate all the way to the right to "clean" the wave, then move it back to the left to set it.

fyi, there is a group buy discount going on on the moomba forums for wakemakers. If they get enough orders, it could be up to 25% off. Something to look into and consider. Having the larger bags just makes life easier :D

SupraLaunch22_2009
07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Sorry to keep asking stupid questions, but what do you mean when you say work your wakeplate to the left and move the wakeplate all the way to the right, then back to the left. I'm just not sure what you mean by moving the wakeplate to the left or right.

KG's Supra24
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
I use the terms "left" and "right" referring to the gauge and the point where the needle is. The terms "up" and "down" always confuse as I'm not sure if people are talking about the wakeplate or the boat up and down.

I usually move mine to the right (planed out) to get the wave cleaned, then move it back towards the left (I rarely go past the middle, 50%) to let the back of the boat dig in.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

SupraLaunch22_2009
07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
That helps for sure. I always get confused to when people are talking about "up" or "down" because just like you, you don't know if they are talking about the boat or the wakeplate. I will be headed out to the lake on Saturday so I will let you know how we make out.

Patrick56
07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Plate down = bow down. Plate up = bow up.

Like everyone else the reading on the gauge can get confusing. Mine reads 0% = needle all the way to the left = plate all the way up. 100% = needle all the way to the right = plate all the way down.

SupraLaunch22_2009
07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the help in getting my wave dialed in just right! By taking all the advice from you guys my wave is killer!! We filled the port side (surf side) rear ballast along with the front-center ballast, both completely full. We then filled the starboard (non-surf side) ballast about 40%. The wakeplate was set at about 80% and the PP at 11.4 mph. This created a very steep and long wave that was absolutely clean as can be. I will post some pics when I get time.