PDA

View Full Version : Bow Ballast vs wake plate for pushing bow down for surf wake?

Redstripe
07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
I know there are a ton of Ballast and Wake plate questions but I have been fighting to dial in my wave and would love some help from the Supra veterans...

Currently we can surf without the rope all the time and with wakeplate all the way up wave is near waist high with smallish pocket - when I lower the wake plate I get nice pocket but smaller wave. I would love to get the Tall wave with the longer pocket! (I know I am asking for best of both worlds)

Common sense would say that pushing the bow down with more weight instead of the wake plate would increase the pocket but before I go buying another fat sac I am curious if anyone else has there setup dialed in and want to share.

It always seems we dont have enough people to put any real weight in the front as we always put the bigger ones in the back!!

Current set up is
650 lb (front) filled and the back corner compartment surf side full (550lb) wake plate between 0-13%

Should I get another Fac sac and set it in the playpen up front to get more of the boat down in the water?

Thanks for the help...:lol:

The Squeaky Wheel
07-13-2011, 12:00 AM
What boat?

On my 2009 21v, i run the plate at 80% on the gauge. Higher than that and the wake turns to foam.

I have 1400 lb in the port locker (i cut out fiberglass and had a custom bag made), front bag full (750 I think). I use my stock bag and fill it halfway to roughly 200 lb and put that on the port bow.

Wave is long with good push. My wave is mid thigh when I'm in the flats.

Video from a weeks ago. Speed 11.4, board is an Inland Surfer Swallow v2
http://youtu.be/vBpeGdAGC7I

Redstripe
07-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Wheel --- Thanks for the reply --

Sounds like your setup is the answer for me (thigh high with good push would be ideal...Waist high with small pocket leaves little room for trying tricks)

-- I really like the idea of putting a sac under the seats up front on the surfside.... Before you cut the fiberglass was the compartment really shallow?

I will have to get a extra sac and lay it up front in the seat for this weekend, then plumb it in if it works.

Thanks again --

Boat is
2001 SSV Launch.

The Squeaky Wheel
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
My least favorite part of my 09 21v are the stock rear lockers. They have plenty of potential, but there's lots of superfluous fiberglass edges which limit the locker size. I cut out all nonessential fiberglass, then removed a divider panel under the port seats.

I had Fly High make me a custom bag which is tiered. It completely occupies the rear locker with an extension arms that runs most of the way under the port side seats.

In regards to the bow, I put the bag on the seat. There isn't enough room under the seats to accomplish what I want.

Agreed....length and push are just as important, if not more important, than pure height.

The Squeaky Wheel
07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
For the sake of comparison, my wife rides goofy and I couldn't make the same mod on the goofy side for a variety of reasons.

I replaced the stock bag with a 750. The stock 400 lb bag is on the starboard seats. 200 lbs up front in addition to full center bag.

10.4 mph, wakeplate 80%, Phase 5 Daniello Carbon

http://youtu.be/lif9XVZbQvk

Redstripe
07-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Wave looks good on both sides -- YOu and your wife are riding nicely.

I have been debating on cutting a hole and putting a Enzo style sac (one with arm extending off it.

this would allow me to remove the stock sac from the rear locker and put it up front in the playpen.

How much weight you think is in the arms of the custom sacs? 50LbS or so

here is our wake - decent size and push with sacs full and 5 people on board.

Redstripe
07-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Here is wake pic I was trying to post --

The Squeaky Wheel
07-13-2011, 05:09 PM
1 cubic inch of water =0.36 pounds
I forget the dimensions of my custom bag, but a significant amount of the weight is in the arm which runs under the seats.

You may want to give Wakemakers a call. I dealt with Jason and he's a pleasure to work with.

It's hard to get a great sense of your wake, but it looks high but not long.

With a fast board like the v2 swallow, I can ride a good 15-20 feet back of my boat. For me, a bit more length is probably more important than overall height. I'll never be an aerials guy - I'm just too old and too oft injured at this point :)

Dreamer99
07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Wheel --- Thanks for the reply --

Sounds like your setup is the answer for me (thigh high with good push would be ideal...Waist high with small pocket leaves little room for trying tricks)

-- I really like the idea of putting a sac under the seats up front on the surfside.... Before you cut the fiberglass was the compartment really shallow?

I will have to get a extra sac and lay it up front in the seat for this weekend, then plumb it in if it works.

Thanks again --

Boat is
2001 SSV Launch.

My previous boat was an 02 SSV and we hade a pretty solid wake for that boat and we did not put any weight in the bow. We rode the port side and this is what we did for ballast.

GG 565# sac in the locker along with the two batteries which were mounted at the back of the locker. GG 1150# sac in the ski locker (probably only 900#'s in it) and a 275# sac on top of the ski locker. We also added a 750# sac half up on the transom like the picture I will post below (that is not my boat in the picture, I just copied his ballast and it worked great).

We ran at 11 mph (gps PP) and the bennett tab all of the way up.

This video was with a 190# guy sitting on the locker and choppy water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF68SVP2yDs