PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Due: Have some questions

cigars n scotch
07-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone,

My 50 hour oil change is due and I'm going to tackle it myself (with my pop's watchful eye) and wanted to know if any of you service you boats yourselves or take it into the dealer? I bought my boat in Utah and live in New Jersey and the nearest Supra dealer is about 3 hours from me so I only bring it in for major service (like warranty stuff).

I know there's an oil extractor pump that could prove very useful for me. Anyone know where I can look to purchase it? I don't have a marine supply store that close to me, so I'm probably looking at online purchase.

Also, if any of you have recommendations on steps to take or things to watch out for because you've done it yourself and learned a few things please feel free to share the knowledge. Thanks.

Justin

cigars n scotch
07-12-2011, 10:39 PM
This is a similar model to what I was referring to: http://www.amazon.com/Trac-Dynamics-Oil-Extractor-liter/dp/B0000BYO97/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1310524466&sr=8-11

docdrs
07-13-2011, 11:05 AM
any extractor should work.....use your quick drain tube from the bottom of the engine not the dipstick tube as the hose tube can get stuck on the botton of the dipstick tube warm the engine up if you can before as the oil will flow out quicker .. use ziplock bag around the oil filter when you take it off to catch the oil spilling out.....fill the filter with some oil and lube the filter seal before you put the new filter on .... check and add to full after you have run the motor for a few minutes and check for leaks around the filter seal.

jaywidhalm
07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Overtons.com will have oil extractors also. I have had good luck with their customer service.

Fman
07-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Couple other tips...

When you install your new oil filter put it on hand tight then turn another 1/4-1/2 turn with a filter wrench. That is all that is needed, I just did my first oil change (20 hr was done by dealer) and the mechanic tightened the filter crazy tight! I actually started ripping off the sides of the filter trying to break it free. It was rediculous, have no idea why someone would ever put a filter on that tight.... my 20 minute oil change turned into a couple hour project and some bloody knuckles because of this....

Also make sure the gasket from the original filter comes off and is not stuck on the base plate where filter attaches too. If you were to accidentaly double gasket the filter it would leak.

Run the motor on a fake-lake and make sure no leaks are coming from oil filter area.

Just something to consider, good luck with your project.... here is the pump I use with a spark plug boot, works great.

Blackntan90
07-15-2011, 05:46 AM
I would NOT use a filter wrench to tighten a filter- it could cause pinholes in the filter from the teeth on the wrench- I have seen this happen, just use your hand- no need to kill it!

cadunkle
07-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Not sure where you are in NJ but I got mine at West Marine. They have a Store on Rt. 73 in Mt. Laurel.

michael hunter
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I have never used a pump to remove oil. I just start the night before and let it drain over night.

Fman
07-15-2011, 11:11 AM
I would NOT use a filter wrench to tighten a filter- it could cause pinholes in the filter from the teeth on the wrench- I have seen this happen, just use your hand- no need to kill it!

As long as you grab it at the top of the filter not a problem, but definitely can cause damage if you over tighten. I would be a little hesitant about only hand tightening a filter on, 1/4 turn after you hand tighten and you are definitely good to go.

Just my .02......

rludtke
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Be sure to lubricate the oil filter gasket with a little bit of the used oil prior to installing. This will aid in sealing, and removing next time.

haugy
07-15-2011, 03:20 PM
any extractor should work.....use your quick drain tube from the bottom of the engine not the dipstick tube as the hose tube can get stuck on the botton of the dipstick tube warm the engine up if you can before as the oil will flow out quicker .. use ziplock bag around the oil filter when you take it off to catch the oil spilling out.....fill the filter with some oil and lube the filter seal before you put the new filter on .... check and add to full after you have run the motor for a few minutes and check for leaks around the filter seal.

I have never used a pump to remove oil. I just start the night before and let it drain over night.

These three are what you need to do.

Heat up the engine by letting run for a while. Just coming in from a day's ride is perfect, or hook up a hose and let it run for 10 minutes. Let your drain tube drain overnight. Why rush? Get up in the morning, get a new filter, fill it and lubricate the rubber seal.
Put it on, HAND TIGHT ONLY, do not use a wrench unless you are a weakling and can't get a good hand tight filter on.

Top off, and then done. Super easy, just take your time with it. I've tightened filters by hand, and after useage have had to bust my ass to get them off.

michael hunter
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
What Haugy said.

jaywidhalm
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
On my 08 22 V the oil drain tube just barely reaches out of the bilge drain plug in the back. You cannot get a pan to catch it back there due to the hose being too short, and the wakeplate is in the way. Not sure if they are all this way, but without an extension on the hose, no way to not make a crazy mess trying to let it drain overnight. I tried it this way the first time, and since, have started sucking it out with an extractor. Just my experience with my boat.

Tim405
07-16-2011, 11:49 PM
On my 08 22 V the oil drain tube just barely reaches out of the bilge drain plug in the back. You cannot get a pan to catch it back there due to the hose being too short, and the wakeplate is in the way. Not sure if they are all this way, but without an extension on the hose, no way to not make a crazy mess trying to let it drain overnight. I tried it this way the first time, and since, have started sucking it out with an extractor. Just my experience with my boat.

I did mine today - I just pushed the drain tube out of the stern as far as it'd go - then let it drip over the wakeplate. fortunately I have a steep driveway and also got lucky that it went just to the right - minimal mess. (It's her first Royal Purple oil change)

cigars n scotch
07-22-2011, 12:41 AM
totally forgot about this post, but I found out my dad has an extractor so I'll try that. Going to change the oil tomorrow evening so I can ride Saturday morning. I'll run the engine on my fake-a-lake for 15 minutes or so to get the oil nice and thin, but it's also been 100 degrees here the last few days so that probably helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

haugy
07-22-2011, 08:21 AM
totally forgot about this post, but I found out my dad has an extractor so I'll try that. Going to change the oil tomorrow evening so I can ride Saturday morning. I'll run the engine on my fake-a-lake for 15 minutes or so to get the oil nice and thin, but it's also been 100 degrees here the last few days so that probably helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Running the engine not only thins the mix. But if there is any sediment, by running you have a good chance of it being stirred up, and then it will flow out with the thin oil. If it's been sitting for a day or two, and you try and remove oil then (drain or extract) you may leave the sediment/deposits/metal on the bottom of the pan.

Just an FYI. :)